1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed re: aspect ratio

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by terrythecat, Oct 21, 2003.

1. terrythecat

terrythecat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

My son has just re-formated my HCPC and loaded everything from scratch but now the aspect ratio is wrong. If my sums are right, then with a 7ft screen a 1:85.1 image should be about
    80ins x 43ins but is only 33.5ins high, and a 1:2.35 image should be 80ins x 34ins but is only 26.5ins high. It is now 2 years since the HCPC was built for me and I can't remember all the in's and out's. What programs should I be looking at and specifically what should I be doing with them. Thanks in advance for any pointers.

AMD Athlon 1133 mhz
    Radion 32mb Video card
    PowerDvd
    Powerstrip
    Regionkiller
    Barco 808s proj.

2. terrythecat

terrythecat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    To add to the above - Do I need Dscaler for DVD playback ?
    It was on the HCPC before but my son says it is only for use with a TV card. I'm not so sure!
    If so, what version should we download. Also, I can't remember where the deinterlacer 'on/off switch' is. My son seems to think that PowerDvd is deinterlacing the film, but again I'm not to sure.

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,092
    It sounds like PDVD is doing the 16:9 squish, and so is your display device. Untick 'keep aspect ratio' in PDVD and it should go back to normal.

You don't need DScaler unless you have a suitable capture card (tv card) for external inputs such as a laserdisk player.

Gary.

4. terrythecat

terrythecat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Gary - that's done the trick! although at first I thought it wasn't because the first 1:85.1 film I tried ( The English patient ) came out wrongly sized. So then I tried a 1:2.35 ( gladiator ) and that came out correctly sized. So, now completely confused I tried another 1:1.85 ( Jackie Brown ) and that was spot on. I watched a rental last night and that was the correct height. I can only assume that the information on the box of 'The English patient' is wrong. It does not do what it say's on the tin.

cheers

Terry