Help needed purchasing new DAC/Amp all-in-one

dlystyr

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am quite new to the audio scene and although I have done lots of reading still find myself wondering if it's a worthwhile decision to buy a new Amp.

I am looking for a DAC/Amp all-in-one to power my Beyerdynamic DT 990 Edition 600 Ohm headphones. I have been looking at the Marantz PM6007 but this may not be ideal and I would appreciate any feedback or different suggestions.

My current kit:

Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT 990 Edition 600 Ohm
DAC: Nobsound Audio Q3
Amp: Fosi Audio T20

So my questions are:

a) Will the Marantz PM6007 power 600 ohm headphones?
b) Due to the fact my current set up is very basic and cheap, would I notice a difference in quality? I listen to FLAC / Studio masters on my PC, The Amp will be connected via optical.
c) My budget is anywhere up to £600, Would there be a better amp for my use case which offers excellent quality?

I appreciate any help, I am quite new to this, I have added links to the appropriate items so you can see the specs

Many Thanks

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
What speakers do you intend to use or is it just for headphones?

The PM 6007 main job is to drive speakers. Do you have speakers, or you listen exclusively from the headphones?
If all you need is a DAC + headphone amp, I would look at brands such as Topping, SMSL, Soncoz, Schiit, Loxjie, Arcam (rDAC series). They all make good desktop DACs with integrated headphone amps. Many offer Bluetooth connectivity as well, which is handy.

Purely for headphones, I do have some low spec speakers and a subwoofer that I would like to connect but speakers are not important to me.

This so. Connect to PC via USB and if you decide later you want a stereo, the rca outputs are variable and you could add active speakers very easy

The PM 6007 main job is to drive speakers. Do you have speakers, or you listen exclusively from the headphones?
If all you need is a DAC + headphone amp, I would look at brands such as Topping, SMSL, Soncoz, Schiit, Loxjie, Arcam (rDAC series). They all make good desktop DACs with integrated headphone amps. Many offer Bluetooth connectivity as well, which is handy.
Thank you, I did not realise that, I will take a look at those brands.

The if zen is a good low cost option but the only input is USB. There is no optical I believe.
I am very happy with my Loxjie D30 as digital preamplifier and headphone amp.
Arcam irDAC second hand is also a good one.

Purely for headphones, I do have some low spec speakers and a subwoofer that I would like to connect but speakers are not important to me.
You need a DAC/Headphone amp. Lots on the market for varying budgets. A system designed just for headphones is going to be superior to any headphone jack on stereo amps, especially with a difficult load like the BDs.

I use a Lehmann Linear headphone amp connected to an SACD player, so no need for a DAC. There is a DAC model available but is pretty expensive.

Have a look at a Schiit Modi 3+ (DAC) and either of the two Schiit Magni headphone amps.
I have experience of using the DAC but not the head amps. The specs give power output figures, including one at 600 ohm.
Only issue with these is that they often seem to be OOS at the UK supplier - I imported my Schiit Modi from the US.
They do come up regularly at auction (2nd hand), but have no idea if you’d be comfortable buying something used.
There is even a small purpose built stand available (called the Stack I believe).

Have a look at a Schiit Modi 3+ (DAC) and either of the two Schiit Magni headphone amps.
I have experience of using the DAC but not the head amps. The specs give power output figures, including one at 600 ohm.
Only issue with these is that they often seem to be OOS at the UK supplier - I imported my Schiit Modi from the US.
They do come up regularly at auction (2nd hand), but have no idea if you’d be comfortable buying something used.
There is even a small purpose built stand available (called the Stack I believe).
I love the look of these, they seem perfect. I like that they stack also,

Thank you for the suggestion.

Only issue with these is that they often seem to be OOS at the UK supplier
No issue. Just order from the US site. They have a UK plug option and the cheap $ price and exchange rate covers the postage. They are also cheap enough that they're under the UK customs duty limit. I did this and had my Shiit Magni Heresy within a week and it worked out the same as if I'd ordered from the UK site. Excellent unit that easily drives my AKG k712 Pro's.

This only accepts usb and looks superb.

I have this, it sounds beautiful with senheiser hd650

These sound just as good as the hd650 by all accounts

No issue. Just order from the US site. They have a UK plug option and the cheap $ price and exchange rate covers the postage. They are also cheap enough that they're under the UK customs duty limit. I did this and had my Shiit Magni Heresy within a week and it worked out the same as if I'd ordered from the UK site. Excellent unit that easily drives my AKG k712 Pro's.

I think I will do that, I have been reading reviews this morning and they all say great things. I do not mind the wait time either.

This only accepts usb and looks superb.

I have this, it sounds beautiful with senheiser hd650

These sound just as good as the hd650 by all accounts

Thanks, I have read a few places that USB can sometimes cause electrical interference? I do not know what the bandwidth difference is between both though and whether one is preferred over the other. It's one of the main reasons I went for optical initially but happy for someone to change my mind.

It's scientifically impossible to get much cleaner.

They are great products. I had a D30 for ages. Excellent device.

That is really interesting. I didn't realise.

To update, I ended up purchasing from Schiit. I really appreciate the recommendation and they are currently in stock!

I purchased the Modius DAC and Valhalla tube headphone amp from the US Site.

I was wondering if it would cause any issues putting an EQ in between, or would it not be worth it? I am looking at this.

@dlystyr
re the EQ question. Can you EQ in software (earlier you mentioned FLAC files on PC)?
Reason for asking is that I stream FLAC via a Raspberry Pi and EQ in software (Moode). In fact I’m running a Parametric Equaliser.
I’ve (sort of) looked at the Schiit Loki but not yet taken things any further.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom