1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed - Poor battery life!

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Justhe1, Jul 3, 2003.

1. Justhe1

Justhe1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly, I am not a digi-cam expert, so please be kind!

I purshased a Kyocera Finecam S3 about 6 months ago, (before I was aware of this forum I'd like to add:blush: )

I have mixed review's really, its OK for shots on a clear day but really can't cope with twilight at all :mad:

My real problem though is the battery life - its awful, Its now got to the stage that even when fully charged I can only use it for a maybe 30 pics tops (& even then I dont use the screen!!)

Its got a Lithium Ion 800mAh battery - can i replace this with one that will be better, and stay better for longer?!!?

If so where do I look!!! - Oh and would I be within my rights to send the camera back directly to the shop or the manufacturer if I don't think its 100% acceptable..??

Thanks in advance.

J

2. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Unforetunately batteries are one of the compromises you make when going for a small camera and battery life on the Kyocera is always commented on in reviews.

I dont think you would get anywhere on that score but then again Im no expert on law.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Li-ion batteries are fairly resilient (better than Nicd and smaller than NiMh) but all rechargeable technologies can only function for a limited number of recharges - typically well into the hundreds. Li-Ion does not have the dreaded 'memory effect' that makes NiCds virtually useless.

Batteries are rarely if ever covered by warranties.

If the situation has worsened significantly since it was new, the first thing to try is a replacement battery - it is possible that the existing one is dying (perhaps prematurely). If this cures the problem then you can conclude that the first battery was suffering. On the other hand, if the problem remains, it indicates that the camera has developed some fault whereby it is drawing more current. In which case you probably have a valid warranty claim on the camera.

4. Hugo Junkers

Hugo Junkers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suppose this would be a good place to ask.

Having only had my digicam for a couple of weeks I'm not really up on battaries so I've noticed on the battaries (NiMh ones) that they have different numbers. i.e 1700, 2200. Does this mean that the 2200 charge would last longer than the 1700?

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    My guess is that the numbers you are quoting are in milliamp hours. In which case, yes, 1700 = it will produce a current of 1 milliamp for 1700 hours (or 10 mA for 170 hrs, etc), and 2200 = 1 mA for 2200 hours (or 10 for 220, etc).

6. Hugo Junkers

Hugo Junkers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Nigel. Something else I need to buy then. :laugh:

7. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Its worth keeping an eye out on ebay for extra camera batteries - i recently bought 2 brand new, sealed ones for my Nikon for half the normal cost.