1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help needed please

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by t_kaay, Feb 27, 2005.

1. t_kaay

t_kaay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still need help...does anyone know how to dub a music soundtrack onto a recording on a jvc 73 camcorder? just bought the unit and scanning the instruction manual seems to state that anything dubbed is via the inbuilt mic and the orig sound will stay in background? is this true? any way of dubbing once its been converted onto dvd disc? i'm confused, any help would be appreciated.....thanks

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Before you burn it to dvd you can add extra tracks on most editing programmes, either augmenting, removing or reducing the exsisting audio.

You can do this on some cams by selecting 12bit sound, but really you get much better results on an editing system.

3. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    If you are using a stand-alone DVD recorder, these have the facility to audio dub after recording. Dependant on your model, it may over-write the audio or accompany it. :cool:

4. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would strongly advise you NOT to dub 'in-camera' - much better to capture your video to a PC editing programme then you can add as much music , narration etc as you want and then burn it all to DVD.

5. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    A bit of advice is actually... agreeing with the above, camera dubbing is a pointless exercise these days.. goto your camera menu and change the sound from 12bit to 16bit. Bit more quality for ya.

Why cameras are virtually always shipped in 12bit is a mystery to me. Turn that digital zoom off too whilst you're there ;)

6. PjPip

PjPip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've just bought my first camcorder (Sony HC22E), the 12/16 bit audio option is there - yes defaulted to 12! - If switch to 16bit will I lose anything? Later functionality when editing? Less tape capacity?

7. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only thing you will lose by switching to 16bit is the ability to audio dub in camera (which you don't want - believe me) all other functions of your camera will work exactly the same - the plus is that you will get better sound quality.

8. PjPip

PjPip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I thought that would be the case, but it's always nice to hear someone else agree :)

I guess the only time it might come in handy (for me) is for adding notes over a clip at the time, particularly if it's going to be a long time before getting the tapes to a PC for editing.

But, camera now changed to 16 bit :D
    Thanks for the info.

9. PjPip

PjPip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Now I think about it, the above wouldn't really make sense unless the audio tracks are separated at transfer, allowing easy removal of the "comments". I guess the audio is mixed during transfer though to one track.
    So no use for 12bit at all then!