1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Needed Please!!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Capable, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Capable

Capable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Our Sony DAV s300 has started playing up with DVDs skipping and going back to the beginning half way through, and I have heard this is a common fault and it is likely that I will need to get a new one. -This was an all in one system with the speakers etc.

Can I just get a new DVD player and plug the speakers into the back with some adapters as the current speaker cables have special sony speaker plugs on the end. (the speakers are all wired into the walls!!!)

Or do I need an amplifier as well?!!! -

I have been told that with the all in one systems, the amplifier is in the DVD/CD player and I could just have a scart lead going from the new DVD player into the video one phono sockets of the old player which will act as the amplifier?????

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lease:

2. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I don't think it would be possible for you to just to plug your Sony speakers into another dvd player because you would need an amplifier. Some dvd players are capable of channelling sound out to 5.1 speakers via an amplifier but these are for when the dvd player is doing the decoding and then just using the amplifier to spread the sound out. Normally the amplifier will decode and process itself, and will do a better job of it.

It is possible for you to connect a dvd player with phono outputs to your existing system (if it has phono inputs). This would provide analogue sound, ie prologic I/II and not DD5.1/DTS.

Your problem highlights one of the drawbacks of buying an all in one system because if you had bought separates they are so much more easier to replace. However, I have had two separate home cinema kits in the past but now have the Denon 500 all in one kit which I am extremely happy with.

Personally I would buy a new all in one or separates kit now if I were you.

3. Capable

Capable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank You Very Much For Your Reply

4. Irishuser

Irishuser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Question - i want to replace a DAV S300 as described above, and wires are all hidden as well. Is it possible to just switch the amp and speakers and use the existing cabling?. A friend mentioned something about the rating of cables and speakers or something - is this important??.

Cheers!!