Help needed please

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by mikejjj, Feb 17, 2014.

1. mikejjj

mikejjj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I'm trying to enlarge a couple of colour photo's taken back in the late 70's for an old relative of mine. I am using my p.c. I have scanned the photos' currently approx 5x3"and saved them but when I try to enlarge them to 6x4" the quality is awful, tried various win 7 software but it's not happening, anyone any ideas, is it because they were none digital images to start with or can anyone offer any advice?
    Thanks all in advance
    Mike

2. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,574
    what resolution did you scan them at ?

3. mikejjj

mikejjj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Thanks for your reply, the properties of the images are as follows:
    Dimensions 3500 x 2477
    Horizontal and vertical resolution 300dpi
    Bit depth 24
    Hope this helps?
    Mike.

4. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,569
    Have you got the jpg compression too high when saving them? I would expect the jpg file with low compression to be around 5 to 10 mb and if a tiff 25 mb. What do you define as terrible, blurred, colours not right, pixelated?

5. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,574
    what did you scan them on ? 300dpi doesn't seem appropriate - would be expecting at least 1200-2400 DPI scanning resolution

6. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,258
    AFAIK 300 DPI is 300 Dots Per Inch.
    So your 5" x 3" should only be 1500x900 pixels so some scaling has already taken place?

As you want a bigger print than the scanned input you need to scan at the maximum optical resolution of the scanner and either save as an uncompressed file (e.g. TIFF) or a JPEG with the lowest compression setting/best quality option and work from there.

You can't of course "create" new image information so the output will not be quite as crisp as the original (from negative film) print but hopefully with a little gentle processing you can make it look as good.

7. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,574
    Also there might be a member on here who has one of the Fractal Resizing applications available who could possibly help further ?

8. mikejjj

mikejjj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Thanks guys, believe it or not i have never actually tried this in all the years i've owned a P.C . Firstly i am using a all in one printer Epson SX515W, based on your info i looked into the scan settings and increased to it's max of 1200 dpi and by saving as a Tiff ( no compression ) can now print a like for like, size and quality etc. Can i work out how to print it 6"x 4" not a chance, as mentioned i'm using Win 7, Ultimate 64Bit ?

9. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,574
    what are you using to edit/print the image then ?

10. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,574
    I'm sure the epson print s/w that usually comes with the printers allows you to select the output media size and will adjust the input file accordingly ?

11. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,569
    If you have an image on your hard drive -
    • Gto the folder in your file manager/explorer (start menu (bottom left hand corner), documents/pictures/yourname etc. and navigate using the folder structure on the left hand side)
    • In the file manager window highlight the picture(s) you want to print (single left click)
    • Left click "print" in the bar at the top of the file manager window, this opens the print manager window, should be entitled "how do you want to print your pictures?"
    • From the drop down menus at the top choose your printer, chose your paper size (A4 probably), choose your resolution (use highest available as a start)
    • From the right hand side menu bar choose 10x15 (2) which is in centimetres - this is actually the same as 6x4 inches give or take a millimetre, the picture in the centre will change to show you what the printed page will look like
    • Unclick the "fit to frame" button at the bottom (print and see if this is correct, may need to click this, not tried this option out)
    • If you haven't set up your printer for the correct paper type and best colour image then click options (bottom right) and then printer preferences and change these (note, if the printer is set to B&W the image preview will be B&W, if colour then the image will be colour, simples, print what you see)
    • Once the preview looks like it should then Click print and off you go
    • Print on A4 and cut out the part of the print you want, unless you have 6x4 paper and in that case choose this size in the top drop down box or in printer preferences.
    Hopefully this will do what you want. You therefore do not need any software for this, everything is done in the MS Win7 File manager.

Edit - just noticed the original is 5x3" and the output you want is 6x4" - the aspect ratio is not the same (1:1.66 vs 1:1.5) and so some cropping in one axis will occur.

12. mikejjj

mikejjj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I'm using MS office picture manager, Ugg10 that's basically what i've been doing and shotokan101 the printer does indeed allow you to select the relevant media size etc but i can't get it to adjust the picture size to suit. I think it's likely down to me as i'm sure it has done in the past, might be quicker looking for additional software lol. Thanks again for your help guys

13. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,574
    That's odd I'm using this version of Epson easy photo print

Support - Epson

and if I select a paper size of 6x4 and just print a photo - even on physical A4 sheet I get a 6x4 print in the corner of the sheet ?

Jim

14. mucca_D

mucca_D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    This should help the OP and as ugg10 pointed out. 5x3 (5/3=1.66) has a 1.6 ratio where as 6x4 (6/4=1.5) has a 1.5 ratio

[​IMG]
    ratio
    by Welshtog_, on Flickr

Therefore if we enlarge 5 to 6 the other measurement will be 6/1.66 = 3.61.

Of course you do not want a photo with a white boarder so you can keep enlarging past 6 until you get to 4 on the short measurement and them trim the excess.
    This would be 6.64 worked out by doing 4x1.66 a trim of just over half an inch.

FYI, a scan of a 5x3 [email protected] is 1500x900 - more than enough for a 6x4 enlargement

15. mikejjj

mikejjj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Gents thank you for your help, sorted using my Epson easy photo print which I may add is the first time I have used it. I think most of the problemss were down to the printer and software still being set to their default settings and the fact I don't do much in the photography area.
    Thanks again.....

16. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,574
    great news :)