1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help needed please

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by gooner2, Dec 31, 2004.

1. gooner2

gooner2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am asking this on behalf of my elderly father in law, his problem is this, he has a JVC tv, and a Strong sat reciever, a Thompson freeview box and the most recent a Bush combined VCR and DVD recorder, could anyone tell me how these 4 items should be connected, for one thing he cant record anything from his freeview box onto the Bush recorder so something is not right, all four items have 2 scart sockets which I think is what he has connected them with, I hope this is the right forum and I hope someone can help me in simple english, thanks in advance.

Colin

Happy new year to all

2. CfP

CfP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gooner2,
    bit of a tricky question that one....... There are several approaches:

1. Route all transmissions (Sat, Freeview) through the DVD-R/VCR and then have that signal go out to the TV (so the VCR/DVD controls all TV selection and the TV is effectively just a display).

2. Plug EVERYTHING (Sat (in), Freeview (in), VCR/DVD-R (in/out)) into the TV direct and hope that the TV has a line out for vid and audio so that the VCR/DVD-R can record from it.

Option 1 will give the best recorded picture (as there's nothing between the in signal and the recorder) but is at the trade-off of possibly not the best displayed picture (all signals MUST go thru the video which may reduce the quality).

Option 2 will give the best displayed picture (on TV) but may not give the best recorded picture (DVD-R in reality. VCR can't store the info anyway ;]). Added bonus here is that you don't need to turn on the video to just watch a bit of telly.

Good luck, bounce some more info if need more help. :smashin:

CfP

3. gooner2

gooner2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CfP many thanks for your reply, not sure I understand but will print your words off and take to inlaws house and see what I can do.
    many thanks again.

4. CfP

CfP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will see if I can knock up a basic diagram for you and post it up :thumbsup: As always, a picture tells 1000 words (geeze, almost as long as my posts :laugh: )

CfP

5. gooner2

gooner2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again my friend, that would be a great help.

6. CfP

CfP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :clap:
    How's this look then ;)

[​IMG]

Only prob is you may not have enuf inputs on the TV (Opt 1) or Vid (Opt 2). Should keep yo busy ;)

Alternatively, you may be able to use some sort of SCART switcher to route things into the TV (Opt 1) or into the VCR (Opt 2).

CfP