Johnnybravo87

Novice Member
Hi everyone,

I am after a bit of help, i currently have a denon 2309 7.1 avr which is working pretty well and i am happy with.

I am currently using a budget Eltax jupiter speaker system which i have had for about 8 years. (2x tower, 1x center, 2x small bookshelf). Teamed up with a B&W AS2 subwoofer

I want to get better sound and on a very tight budget and have currently come across a set of 4 Mordaunt Short Avant MS902 bookshelf speakers for £70.00

Can anyone please give me an idea of the quality of these speakers and if they are any good with denon? Also would i notice an improvement for movies against the budget Eltax set i have been using?

Any help would be appreciated as well as any other pointers and tips.

Thankyou

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
You may get better replies by posting in this part of the forum which is more biased towards surround sound, this area is typically stereo.

Johnnybravo87

Novice Member
Ok Thankyou i shall try that. While you are here i am not sure if you know the speakers but i have noticed there is a star shape on the cones. This is not apparent on some models i have seen for sale.

Any idea what that could be or if any issues you know of?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210806-094423_Shpock.jpg
    Screenshot_20210806-094423_Shpock.jpg
    867.8 KB · Views: 42

FRFT

If you want a cheap upgrade maybe looking at some eltax liberty speakers on eBay. Or eltax monitors (not heard them).

The mordaunt shorts that you have shown a picture of have an issue that I see on these speakers a lot, some thing happened to my mordaunt short genies, if you're talking about the deformity in the middle. The little lines around the edges are supposed to be there

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Hi everyone,

I am after a bit of help, i currently have a denon 2309 7.1 avr which is working pretty well and i am happy with.

I am currently using a budget Eltax jupiter speaker system which i have had for about 8 years. (2x tower, 1x center, 2x small bookshelf). Teamed up with a B&W AS2 subwoofer

I want to get better sound and on a very tight budget and have currently come across a set of 4 Mordaunt Short Avant MS902 bookshelf speakers for £70.00

Can anyone please give me an idea of the quality of these speakers and if they are any good with denon? Also would i notice an improvement for movies against the budget Eltax set i have been using?

Any help would be appreciated as well as any other pointers and tips.

Thankyou

Certainly no upgrade to the Eltax.

The Eltax are a budget set up no doubt, but they are fun and funky.

The MS are also a budget speaker. They’ll sound a bit different, but not in an upgrade sense.

You’ll need to save a bit more for an upgraded sound.
Also, buying four of anything will leave you without a centre speaker.

Last edited:

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Ok Thankyou i shall try that. While you are here i am not sure if you know the speakers but i have noticed there is a star shape on the cones. This is not apparent on some models i have seen for sale.

Any idea what that could be or if any issues you know of?

Hard to see what the damage there is. Unless they been seriously pounded and the cones have been hitting the spidef somehow, though that seems unlikely.

John7

They look damaged to me....I wouldn't buy them. As has been previusly said, I don't think these would be an upgrade form your current speakers anyway.

password1

Distinguished Member
I would avoid those MS speakers at all costs, they are damaged, you can clearly see the imprint coming through on the cones. It's very common on the improved Avant models (I've never seen the star shaped imprint on the older NON Avant MS900 series) and will only get worse over time.

If you're on a budget, consider the Kef Cestra, Jpw ML (peerless drivers), Tannoy mx, Wharfedale Diamond 8 and 9 series, and Mission M30 and M70 series.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom