Help needed please,playing vinyl through av amp

Hi-Fi Virgin

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi I have a Technics 1210 mk2 turntable fitted with a Grado Prestige Black 1 cartridge, I play this through the Phono on my Yamaha RX-V765 av Reciever, the problem I have is when doing so I have to crank the volume up from what is set for say dvd playback, I have a NAD Phono pre-amp the PP2 version ,I am tempted to place this between the deck and av amp, I have been afraid to do so as I don't want to break it, Any help would be appreciated thanks in advance. Alan

this is a fairly common problem.... Your AV receiver should allow you to adjust input source level? make the adjustment there. even my long gone cheap Sony and old Yamaha 5760 do/ did... And my newer Marantz SR6XXX both allow this adjustment also. And adding another phono stage will not damage anything, but you will be modifying the RIAA curve twice if you plug it into the phono input... would sound pretty strange.... IF however you plug the NAD phono preamp into another analog input all should be fine. Best to try upping the input source setting first, look around in your menu/ settings, you'll find it.... if it were me, I'd also try the NAD into another analog input and see which sounds better...

The rated output of the Grado Black1 is 5mv, that is pretty close to the standard output for MM type cartridges.

I found the output of my CD player (universal DVD) to be about 12dB higher than my turntable. That's quite a bit. In my case the solution was to attenuate the CD to make it the same as the Turntable.

As others have mentioned if the amp has a means of adjusting the Input level on each channel, then perhaps, the input is turned down. Also, though I would not expect it to be so, if there is an MM/MC option on the turntable input, make sure it is set to MM and NOT MC. MC cartridges put out about 1/10th what an MM does.

Good advice from Jim Pittsburgh.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Steve/bluewizad

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom