Help needed, please help me set up my system

vicster

Standard Member
Hello,

I have a Sumsung TV with 1 x HDMI input, SkyHD boox, PS3 and a Wii.

At the moment as I only have 1 HDMI I have to change the HDMI lead everytime I want to play games.

I am now in the market for a surround sound system but am clueless to if I would be able to connect everything to this or how I could do it.

Does anyone have any recomendations for which system to buy? My budget is £150. I have been offered a second hand Sony one very good condition, this is one with DVD player which I know I dont need but this system was purchased new for over £300 so would it be best to just buy this one and if so how would I connect everything to this.

Any help here would be very much appreachiated

Uridium

Distinguished Member
Hello,

I have a Sumsung TV with 1 x HDMI input, SkyHD boox, PS3 and a Wii.

At the moment as I only have 1 HDMI I have to change the HDMI lead everytime I want to play games.

I am now in the market for a surround sound system but am clueless to if I would be able to connect everything to this or how I could do it.

Does anyone have any recomendations for which system to buy? My budget is £150. I have been offered a second hand Sony one very good condition, this is one with DVD player which I know I dont need but this system was purchased new for over £300 so would it be best to just buy this one and if so how would I connect everything to this.

Any help here would be very much appreachiated

If you up your surround budget you could get yourself a nice AV receiver with 4x HDMI inputs to take the feed from your devices and output to the single one on your TV.

Onkyo 606 will do what you need but will set you back £299+speakers.

Sounds fantastic though :thumbsup:

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
You need a AV system with optical and HDMI inputs for achieve what you want. Basic = Yamaha AV63 Plus But you must look for the AV63+ not AV63 as the + does HD Audio from your PS3. http://www.yamaha-uk.com/pdf/product_bulletins/DSP-AX463.pdf
Also this AV amp will switch component video (Best connection for the WII, hopefully you are NOT using the supplied lead with the WII) but will not change component to HDMI, that would cost a lot more in hardware.

vicster

Standard Member
Thanks for help guys will check them out.

At the moment I have the Wii connected to the TV through the cable that came provided and connects to the TV on video and audio (the red, white and yellow sockets) if that makes sense? Should I not be using that:confused:

Also is the Sony system from my friend not the way to go or would that be fine as long as it has HDMI sockets???

Last edited:

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
Thanks for help guys will check them out.

At the moment I have the Wii connected to the TV through the cable that came provided and connects to the TV on video and audio (the red, white and yellow sockets) if that makes sense? Should I not be using that:confused:

Also is the Sony system from my friend not the way to go or would that be fine as long as it has HDMI sockets???

The best connection and picture from the WII is via a WII component cable GAMEware Nintendo Wii Component Cable - Wii Accessories - GAME.co.uk if your TV has component in then GET one if you want to watch in quality, well WII quality.
For flexibility the Yamaha is a better choice of system since the + has come out. But depending on budget you could get even better.

cols

Up your budget a bit to about £250 and look at htddwg800 and htsf1200. Both have 3 hdmi inputs, 2 optical inputs, digital coax, and rca phono.

Both take lpcm audio over hdmi, meaning hd audio from blu rays, as ps3 can decode all audio formats and output as uncompressed lpcm over hdmi (lpcm over hdmi is the only way to get hd audio from ps3).

Htddwg800 also has component inputs for the wii, although you could just connect that straight to tv with the red and white audio parts going to the amp.

You'd connect up as follows;
* ps3 to amp with hdmi
* skyhd to amp with hdmi and optical (surround sound from sky is only over optical, not hdmi - daft i know)
* wii to tv and amp with component (red green and blue to tv, red and white to amp)
* amp to tv with hdmi

job done :smashin:

vicster

Standard Member
Thanks for that,

were is the best place to buy any of these systems for best possible price?

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
Looking at general functionality the Yamaha AV63+ has the edge over the Sony systems, both in build (No spring clip speaker terminals), iPOD interface and would sustain more output power due to larger power supply. £ for £ the Yamaha and I suppose being the latest one on the block gives far better value.
Here is the manual http://www.yamaha-uk.com/pdf/owner_manuals/DSP-AX463.pdf to confuse you more.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom