Help Needed - Panasonic HX800 and Amazon Prime

SubTric

Novice Member
Hi all,

Any HX800 users (I have a 40”) having issues with Amazon Prime? I’ve had the TV for a few weeks - lovely image quality - but Amazon Prime keeps going odd.

It’ll work perfectly, but then when the TV is turned off for any length of time (usually a few hours - so it happens overnight nearly day), when turning it back on again, selecting prime gives me nothing but a black screen.

The only way to get the app working again is to either uninstall and reinstall it, or turn the TV off at the mains, after which it will work perfectly again.

I’ve tried exiting the app before turning off, accessing it though myapp rather than the apps menu and all manner of other options, but I can’t figure out why I have to reset the TV every day to use Prime. No issues with any other apps at all.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Shep

mikej

Have you done all the usual trouble-shooting stuff like making sure you're on the latest firmware and doing a factory reset ?

The HX800 was only reviewed yesterday, so there isn't a proper owner's thread yet, but it might be worth looking through the GX800 Owner's Thread for similar issues in the meantime.

SubTric

Novice Member
Have you done all the usual trouble-shooting stuff like making sure you're on the latest firmware and doing a factory reset ?

The HX800 was only reviewed yesterday, so there isn't a proper owner's thread yet, but it might be worth looking through the GX800 Owner's Thread for similar issues in the meantime.
Thanks. Yes, all the regular troubleshooting has been followed, all firmware up to date and I’ve factory reset a few times now. It’s still confusing the heck out of me!

I feel like if this was a HX800 issue, more people would have mentioned it.

bingodisco

I had this a few weeks ago on my GX800 - it was doing exactly the same as you describe with the Prime Video app. I think it's something to do with Amazon updating the app and not fully testing it. I uninstalled and reinstalled it a couple of times and it has settled down again. I use the app pretty much daily and it hasn't crashed once in the past few weeks so hopefully that continues.

SubTric

Novice Member
I had this a few weeks ago on my GX800 - it was doing exactly the same as you describe with the Prime Video app. I think it's something to do with Amazon updating the app and not fully testing it. I uninstalled and reinstalled it a couple of times and it has settled down again. I use the app pretty much daily and it hasn't crashed once in the past few weeks so hopefully that continues.

I wish I could report that I'd solved this, but unfortunately not. We've uninstalled and reinstalled the app daily for over 2 weeks and still no joy. Very rarely can we use the app the day after without a reinstall.

All other apps are still working perfectly. It's beyond annoying, especially when the TV itself is fanatic beside this 'issue'.

bingodisco

I wish I could report that I'd solved this, but unfortunately not. We've uninstalled and reinstalled the app daily for over 2 weeks and still no joy. Very rarely can we use the app the day after without a reinstall.

All other apps are still working perfectly. It's beyond annoying, especially when the TV itself is fanatic beside this 'issue'.
Hmm, how very annoying. The HX800 has a different version of the Panasonic Home Screen to the GX800 so maybe they haven't applied a fix to it yet. Amazon's Prime Video app really is the worst - it's never been great on any make of TV I've used.
Maybe try posting the issue on the Prime Video discussion forums and see if it prompts a response.:

Amazon Digital and Device Forums - UK

Also worth contacting Panasonic Support too, just so they're aware of it:

Support Home Page - Panasonic UK & Ireland

SubTric

Novice Member
Hmm, how very annoying. The HX800 has a different version of the Panasonic Home Screen to the GX800 so maybe they haven't applied a fix to it yet. Amazon's Prime Video app really is the worst - it's never been great on any make of TV I've used.
Maybe try posting the issue on the Prime Video discussion forums and see if it prompts a response.:

Amazon Digital and Device Forums - UK

Also worth contacting Panasonic Support too, just so they're aware of it:

Support Home Page - Panasonic UK & Ireland

Thanks, I've just posted on the Amazon forum just now. I have already emailed Panasonic around 10 days ago and am yet to have a reply :(

Interestingly, we recently monied from a curved screen Samsung and never once had an issue with Prime. Though amusingly it was about th only thing that didn't go wrong with that TV!

mikej

Out of interest, do you leave your TV in standby overnight or switch it off at the power button / wall socket ?

SubTric

Novice Member
Out of interest, do you leave your TV in standby overnight or switch it off at the power button / wall socket ?

Standby. I've not turned a TV off at the wall in pretty much forever. Power cycling it does allow the app to work again though.

This isn't an overall fix though as it can happen during a single day - soI use Prime in the morning, turn the TV off, then come back to it in the evening and it won't work unless I power cycle or uninstall the app again.

mikej

Ah, OK. The reason I asked is because I've had two Panasonic TVs now that sometimes lose a certain setting on the odd occasion they're properly powered off. In my case, it's the ARC connection to the AV receiver which is 'forgotten' and I have to reselect it in the sound menu.

If you're leaving yours in standby, then that's obviously not relevant here.

SubTric

Novice Member
Ah, OK. The reason I asked is because I've had two Panasonic TVs now that sometimes lose a certain setting on the odd occasion they're properly powered off. In my case, it's the ARC connection to the AV receiver which is 'forgotten' and I have to reselect it in the sound menu.

If you're leaving yours in standby, then that's obviously not relevant here.

Yah, that's certainly not the issue - but good thinking, it was a viable thought. Thankfully, aside this single app, it seems to be performing rock solid duties. I've had a pile of trouble with previous TV's locking up and needing to be reset to do anything on a regular basis, dropping internet connectivity and all manner of other issues. So far, it's just Prime that isn't playing ball.

andylghg

Novice Member
Hi all,

I purchased a HX800 40 just before Christmas and am having exactly the same issue. Seems bizarre (and more than a bit dis appointing) that some of the most popular streaming apps either don’t work properly (get similar issues with BBC iPlayer - takes a few logins to actually play anything) or don’t even exist (Disney+?).

As you say, very happy with the image quality but the UI and general functionality are missing a few key pieces. Panasonic customer services do not seem to read emails either.

SubTric

Novice Member
Hi all,

I purchased a HX800 40 just before Christmas and am having exactly the same issue. Seems bizarre (and more than a bit dis appointing) that some of the most popular streaming apps either don’t work properly (get similar issues with BBC iPlayer - takes a few logins to actually play anything) or don’t even exist (Disney+?).

As you say, very happy with the image quality but the UI and general functionality are missing a few key pieces. Panasonic customer services do not seem to read emails either.

After an awful long time going back and forth with Panasonic customer services, they finally admitted there was a problem that 'might' affect certain TV's and that the factory was working on a patch to resolve this with the next software update - that hasn't happened yet.

As a side note, this is only with Prime Video for me, all other apps are working flawlessly, including BBC player etc.

Disney+ is not available on any Panasonics at the moment, but they are in talks to get this resolved in the future - this is pretty well documented so not an issue with your TV, rather with all Panasonics.

We actually got bored of waiting for them to fix it, so bought an Amazon Fire Stick HD, which allows access to Disney+, no issues with Prime and allows for a much better viewing experience. The apps on the fire stick are far superior to the native versions on the TV (such as Netflix). Combined with the visual quality of the TV, this seems to have been the right way to go. It's a shame that an extra item was needed, but the results are excellent.

bingodisco

@SubTric - I heartily agree with you. The Amazon Firestick 4K is a brilliant little bit of kit. I got one for £25 on Prime Day & it’s been used more than any other AV device I own at the moment. The Prime app on it is vastly superior to the TV app - much speedier & more reliable. Disney+ and Apple TV both provide superb Dolby Vision content. The only negative is the BBC iPlayer app on the Firestick won’t play UHD content like His Dark Materials, so I stick with the TV app for that.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
But it does mean that you have to sacrifice an HDMI port, which of course may not be an issue.

The latest video from AVForums

LG C1 OLED TV Best Picture Settings for SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom