1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed ordering LOTR.

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by dAvE6, Aug 5, 2002.

1. dAvE6

dAvE6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All my dvd's(about 5) whether they are region 1 or 2 have always had black borders on my widescreen TV. A bit ironic considering that's what they are designed to prevent. So prefferably i want lord of the rings to fill the whole screen.

Do i go for the widescreen R1 version or the fullscreen R1 version? I'm definetly going for region 1, but just don't know which. Remember that it's a widescreen tv that i have.

Thanks very much.

2. Tafsir

Tafsir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    it could be something to do with the setting on the dvd player m8
    i think you get 3 setting types
    4:3
    16:9
    letterbox

toggle between the formats

Tafsir

3. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    if you have got a widescreen TV the you want the widescreen version.

You will still get the black borders, but not as much as a 4:3 TV as it is in 2.35:1 ratio.

4. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your problem is that your films are in 2.35:1 aspect ratio. If you buy the full screen version you will still get black lines, but this time they will be down the sides!

There seems to be a big disagreement whether or not 2.35:1 is a good thing or not. In my case it's the ratio of choice! Others cannot abide it.

What you want is a 16:9 ratio. This is usually shown as 1.85:1 on the box. I'm not sure if you can get LOTR in this format. It may be worth looking at Region 4 suppliers.

Sometimes you'll get both 4:3 and 16:9 on the disks.

My personal opinion is that if you don't like the black bars at the top and the bottom of the screen you are better off buying 4:3 disks and having them at the side.

In either case you can always stretch them! Not quite what the director had in mind but then again he didn't have a 4:3 picture in mind either!

DaveP

5. dAvE6

dAvE6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What i'm really asking i suppose is whether the R1 fullscreen version will give a full-screen image on a widescreen tv??

6. billduff

billduff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do NOT get the Full Screen version. If you have a WS TV never get a full screen version (IMHO they shouldn't even be on sale !!!)

The black bars you are getting are propbably to do with the ration the film is filmed in. I am not an expert in this but here is good link to explain WideScreen Explained .

Basically TV's are 16:9 format bit films are often 'wider' than this. So to get the full width on screen they lose some height, that explains the bars at the top and bottom of a WideScreen image.

The doclink above explains it in a lot more detail and tells you about the difference formats etc.

Also follow tafsir's advice and check all your DVD and TV settings again.

7. dAvE6

dAvE6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah thanks, i guess i'll buy the widescreen version. Thanks for explaining it all.