Help needed on which box to get?

Zippy77777

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

In the front room I have a 55" UE55JS8000 Samsung TV, a Panasonic 4K DVD Player along with a Denon AVR-x1200w.
Although my TV does DD+ when running uTube, Netflix or Amazon Prime video the best I can get on the Amp is Dolby Digital/Dolby Surround.

The hunk of a PC i7 7700K 1080GPU 32RAM is upstairs unfortunately, due to the Mrs wanting it out of the way This was the only real way I could get any kind of ATMOS TrueHD etc to my TV via the Amp to watch decent movies with great sound.

So with my computer upstairs now connected to a 8 year old samsung TV, what are the best options for me? I basically want to watch my Plex movies from my PC downstairs, along with my Netflix/Amazon prime video downstairs on the 2015 Samsung (UE55JS8000) with the best possible sound. I know that Netflix/Amazon now do ATMOS 7.1 and I want it working :)

Hope you clever lot can help me make a decision.

Do I get an Xbox One S so I can have the games aswell? Apple 4K but its limited apparently?
nVidiea Sheild which seems to be the way to go as it does it all and I can get to play the old retro games when I was a kid?

HELP!!! What do I do?

Cheers for taking the time to read this :) and for taking the time to get back to me.

Last edited:
Any help would be very much appreciated.

If Atmos on Netflix is a must have you can rule out the Shield. AppleTV and Xbox will do that.

Dolby Atmos on Netflix

As to streaming your own media with true Atmos support I’d look to a dedicated player such as Zappiti, Shield, Vero etc... The Xbox implementation of Atmos is faux.

Thank you.

I see that the Apple 4K is the one that supports Atmos the most, like all 4 services.
Could I stream Plex from my computer upstairs too it and what about the xbox one S, could I stream to that and lose just one of the services (iTunes)?

Could I stream from iTunes in the bedroom to the Apple 4K TV downstairs and get atmos on the amp to the tv?

Bear in mind there are two types of Atmos.

1. The Atmos that streaming services like Netflix provide on the back of a DD+ stream.
2. True Atmos that is bitstreamed on the back of a Dolby TrueHD stream.

AppleTV and Xbox support 1. but not 2.

The Shield will do 2. but not 1.

You can stream Plex to any of the devices from your PC server.

So priorities and choices?

Its a minefield lol, my brain hurt before i asked ;)

Will Plex stream Atmos of any kind to all devices?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom