Help Needed on Wall Socket

N

Norbreck21a

Hi all, I am a complete newbie, but looking from some guidance.

In my house the previous owner had sky fitted and to acheive this, they drilled 2 small holes in the outside wall of the living room, that come out just above the skirting board. There are 2 sky cables (I think they routed one of the other cables upstairs) that just enter the room (with no wall socket) and terminate at the sky screwed connectors. I've had Sky+ installed about 18 months ago (with Sky Multiroom), and the Sky engineer used these 2 cables to route the 2 LNB's from the plus Dish to the Sky+ box and then ran a new cable to the main bedroom for the multiroom.

Now to my question (sorry for the long winded description). Basically I don't like the cables just poking through the wall, for one thing it makes decorating difficult. I want to terminate the sky cables at a wall plate, but would like to combine it with my TV Aerial (for DVB) that I do have a wall socket for just 6 inches above these cables. To further complicate matters, I would like to add to the mix a Lan port so that I can connect my Blu Ray Player to the internet. My Wireless hub is located in my study which is at the back of the house (but on the same wall), so I was just planning to run a Lan cable outside and enter into the study via a standard Lan plate, and then into the router.

Does what I want to do sound even feasible, or is there a better way of doing it ? Anyone know of a socket that would house the above connections ?
Any help very much apprecaited.

Last edited by a moderator:

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Hi all, I am a complete newbie, but looking from some guidance.

In my house the previous owner had sky fitted and to acheive this, they drilled 2 small holes in the outside wall of the living room, that come out just above the skirting board. There are 2 sky cables (I think they routed one of the other cables upstairs) that just enter the room (with no wall socket) and terminate at the sky screwed connectors. I've had Sky+ installed about 18 months ago (with Sky Multiroom), and the Sky engineer used these 2 cables to route the 2 LNB's from the plus Dish to the Sky+ box and then ran a new cable to the main bedroom for the multiroom.

Now to my question (sorry for the long winded description). Basically I don't like the cables just poking through the wall, for one thing it makes decorating difficult. I want to terminate the sky cables at a wall plate, but would like to combine it with my TV Aerial (for DVB) that I do have a wall socket for just 6 inches above these cables. To further complicate matters, I would like to add to the mix a Lan port so that I can connect my Blu Ray Player to the internet. My Wireless hub is located in my study which is at the back of the house (but on the same wall), so I was just planning to run a Lan cable outside and enter into the study via a standard Lan plate, and then into the router.

Does what I want to do sound even feasible, or is there a better way of doing it ? Anyone know of a socket that would house the above connections ?
Any help very much apprecaited.

You can make your own combination using a modular system B&Q have a few and screwfix have a good range. Up to 4 click in modules can be fitted to a 4 gang front plate that fits a standard 2 gang socket box.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom