1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed on surround sound from DVD HDD upgrade.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by vepcorf, Mar 29, 2005.

1. vepcorf

vepcorf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have a Dolby system through a VCR with internal amp (to 2 rear speakers), and output to a separate amp to 2 front speakers and a sub woofer. The VCR is now faulty, and I wish to replace it with a DVD HDD machine, keeping the existing speakers.
    Which stand alone DVD units will give Dolby surround sound to my speakers, without the need to install additional hardware units?

Your advice would be most appreciated.

2. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hi

If I understand your posting correctly I think you are out of luck and what you want to achieve is not possible as there are no HDD/DVD machines with any built in amplication. THe closest thing you will get is built in decoding for DTS and DD5.1 but you need separate outboard amplification.

Your only options IMHO would be to:

1. Replace your existing amp for the rear speakers with a surround sound amp to power all 5.1 speakers.

2. Buy another separate amp to compliment your existing amp to power the rears (you would need to make sure that the HDD/DVD player had a built in DD5.1 and DTS decoder for this option).

What video recorder are you using. I do remeber Akai video recorders having built in amps but these havn't been manufactured for over a decade.

If anyone else has alternative suggestions lets hear from you.

Hope that helps.

3. vepcorf

vepcorf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Laser,
    Thanks for your comments, your bang on with the video it is an Akai and was I think one of the only models in its day to have a built in amp with surround sound function. It was the cheapest way then to get surround sound as the seperate out board amps were costly. It still works well after 10 years of intense use which is a testament to the quality of the machine.

As we are tight for space two amps would not be suitable so I think if no one else has any ideas we might have to purchase a surround sound amp capable of powering all speakers and ditch the current external amp. As for the DVD HDD I'll probably go for the Panasonic DMR E95H. Any way much appreciate your comments I'm very new as you can tell to the DVD technology.

4. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    You can't go far wrong with the E95HR. Very good machine.