Help needed on room layout to convince the Mrs we need a bigger telly (and better speakers)

aph10

Standard Member
Hi folks,

I'm trying to convince the Mrs that our living room can carry off a bigger telly (about 65") and that putting it on the wall would be ideal and add symmetry to the room.

This would help me to convince her that I should also upgrade the front speakers and they would also look ok...

EXISTING LAYOUT:
existing_layout.jpg

MOCK UP OF MY IDEA:
proposed_layout.jpg

I already have 7.1 setup with the surrounds and rears in the ideal space for my proposed layout (they're B&W M1s mounted on the wall up by ceiling, with the surrounds just out of the image and rears in the top corners behind where i'm standing )

I would aim to put the amp in a new matching cabinet on the left out of sight and channel wires for the telly etc.

Specific questions:
  1. Initial thoughts on the principle of what i'm suggesting?
  2. Anything I need to take into consideration?
  3. I'm struggling on where I would put a centre speaker in this set up (am also trying to decide on what to replace the M1 centre with as it just isn't up to much - but also dependend on whether I can convince the Mrs to upgrade to this!)
  4. Any suggestions on a way to hide the screen (was thinking sliding panel or something? Curtains wouldn't work) anything that would make it less of a solid black object on the wall, as that's her main objection.
What do you think?

Many thanks!

aph10

Standard Member
That's a fixed stand and uglier than mounting on the wall (the issue is the big black box on the wall rather than it being fixed to the wall)... but the idea of hiding it behind the sofa is a good one. Wonder if there's a motorised version to lift the screen up like you can get at the end of beds! (although sod's law the telly would be taller than the sofa!)

Just found these which is an interesting idea, but waaaay more than i want to spend! TV Lift

Last edited:

Htfanboy

To hide the screen use it as picture frame and rotate through different pictures on the tv!
It appears your wife doesn't want to look at a television? And therefore don't want to watch a tv in the first place? 🙄

aph10

Standard Member
To hide the screen use it as picture frame and rotate through different pictures on the tv!
It appears your wife doesn't want to look at a television? And therefore don't want to watch a tv in the first place? 🙄
Yup... pretty spot on. She's fine with it in the corner and not the main focal point in the room, which i get for the more formal function of the living room, but am trying to find the balance between what's 'normal' nowadays and aesthtically pleasing in a multi-function room

Last edited:

Htfanboy

Yup... pretty spot on. She's fine with it in the corner and not the main focal point in the room, which i get for the more formal function of the living room, but am trying to find the balance between what's 'normal' nowadays and aesthtically pleasing in a multi-function room
A corner setup isn't very good and pleasing to see either. Flat wall is always the first option when it comes to watching a tv. A corner is terrible for many reasons and good to see you trying to move away from it!

Is this all about your wife or making tv viewing a pirioty? Don't let her ruin it for you!

aph10

Standard Member
A corner setup isn't very good and pleasing to see either. Flat wall is always the first option when it comes to watching a tv. A corner is terrible for many reasons and good to see you trying to move away from it!

Is this all about your wife or making tv viewing a pirioty? Don't let her ruin it for you!
Totally agree on the corner being awful, especially when there's front speakers involved too, let alone surrounds/seating positions etc!

This is about fixing a problem she doesn't realise exists and me trying to keep a happy wife/life :)

If i can show her that a bigger telly on the wall is the norm, or that there is some way to hide it, or give other benefits (like more symmetry in the room is the only one i can come up with ), then i might get away with it... till I tell her i need to replace the front speakers, buy a cabinet etc etc lol)

Any thoughts on the proposed setup, assuming i can convince the Mrs?

Htfanboy

It's alot better than the corner. Just don't have it up too high. It also benefits having proper speaker placements for surround sound, and ensure seating is placed opposite the tv!

Wall mounting is usually my go to as it allows a center speaker underneath on some kind of cabinet etc.

josefK666

If your proposed layout is to have the MLP - or main listening/viewing position - from the viewpoint in the picture then you would be quite some distance from the TV. If you're thinking of getting a 65 inch 4K TV then the ideal distance from the TV for 4K viewing is about 4-9 feet or so. Once you get beyond that you'll start to struggle to properly appreciate the resolution. Of course you can still enjoy it but it will be less immersive and that may play into your final buying decision.

Regarding the speakers - if you get some decent standmounts you might find that you can create a good phantom centre so you can do without the cost and hassle of a dedicated centre speaker. I've definitely had this work for me in the past. Being against a back wall isn't ideal as low frequencies will build up there so there's a risk of it being a bit boomy but we all have compromises we have to make.

Perhaps your wife would go for something like Samsung's Art Mode? You can even get customised bezels for the TV to make it look more aesthetically appealing?

I mean it's bonkers but you've got to do what you've got to do, right?

aph10

Standard Member
If your proposed layout is to have the MLP - or main listening/viewing position - from the viewpoint in the picture then you would be quite some distance from the TV. If you're thinking of getting a 65 inch 4K TV then the ideal distance from the TV for 4K viewing is about 4-9 feet or so. Once you get beyond that you'll start to struggle to properly appreciate the resolution. Of course you can still enjoy it but it will be less immersive and that may play into your final buying decision.

Regarding the speakers - if you get some decent standmounts you might find that you can create a good phantom centre so you can do without the cost and hassle of a dedicated centre speaker. I've definitely had this work for me in the past. Being against a back wall isn't ideal as low frequencies will build up there so there's a risk of it being a bit boomy but we all have compromises we have to make.

Perhaps your wife would go for something like Samsung's Art Mode? You can even get customised bezels for the TV to make it look more aesthetically appealing?

I mean it's bonkers but you've got to do what you've got to do, right?
Cheers for the reply… yes, I’ve shown her those in the past… maybe they’ve come on some.
I’m more about the picture quality and sound…

One option I’ve thought of is to have a projector onto the big wall above the small sofa, but that doesn’t resolve the speaker location (yes, I could rearrange them for the right movie, but that’s a phaff).

@NewAcousticDimension ’s idea of the riser behind the sofa is really starting to grow on me. Might be the only way to convince the Mrs to let me go bigger. The next challenge would be to convince her that I need better speakers and not the little satellite ones we have today 😆

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The problem is you are considering the TV placement in isolation, you need to rethink the whole room/seating layout if you want to put the TV on the short wall (unless you are the only person wanting to view/listen) :)

The TV in the corner works best with your current seating layout, I’d either try and work with that or get the etch-a-sketch out and work on the ‘room’.

The small satellite speakers on stands don’t help visually either, floor standing speakers in a wood finish would be a better visual match with the existing furniture.

Joe

aph10

Standard Member
The problem is you are considering the TV placement in isolation, you need to rethink the whole room/seating layout if you want to put the TV on the short wall (unless you are the only person wanting to view/listen) :)

The TV in the corner works best with your current seating layout, I’d either try and work with that or get the etch-a-sketch out and work on the ‘room’.

The small satellite speakers on stands don’t help visually either, floor standing speakers in a wood finish would be a better visual match with the existing furniture.

Joe
Joe, I agree in part. The layout reflects the “U” shaped layout around the fireplace on the left so is ‘unchangable’ as the living room, hence the options to go above the far sofa for the telly.

I’d love floorstanding speakers. Do you think they’d work in the proposed diagram on either side (where I’ve mocked up some proper bookshelf ones like a B&W 606 on stands)?

Also with this setup, where /how would you position a centre speaker?

Thanks!

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
I’m not seeing how your Seating and proposed TV/Speaker layout work for anyone other than the photographer, for everyone else the sound is compromised.

If your seating has to stay I’d leave the TV where it is and put a decent 2.0 or 2.1 amp and speaker system in and forget about a Centre and Surround channels.

Joe

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
@aph10

Hopefully she would agree with the tv moved in the middle of wall. You could also consider some modern looking low depth on-wall options over the bulky boxy speakers and stands. There is quite many high performing on-wall speakers depending of your budget. Perhaps 4.1 system without centre then if the small couch is staying as there is no room for it.

Dali has example Oberon On-Wall and Opticon LCR right side (old model) if higher budget, but could be too large for wifes eyes. The first one goes 499£/pair and dimensions: 385 x 245 x 120 HxWxD.

DSC09027.jpg

preview.jpg

aph10

Standard Member
I’m not seeing how your Seating and proposed TV/Speaker layout work for anyone other than the photographer, for everyone else the sound is compromised.

If your seating has to stay I’d leave the TV where it is and put a decent 2.0 or 2.1 amp and speaker system in and forget about a Centre and Surround channels.

Joe
Thanks Joe. I’ve already got 7.1 sound with the surrounds and rears set up for the proposed layout - I’ve just never been able to sell the dream to the Mrs before to get the telly where it should be. It’s really only me and the kids that watch movies, only me that cares about the sound… for any casual TV, no one but me really cares about viewing angles etc either.

aph10

Standard Member
@aph10

Hopefully she would agree with the tv moved in the middle of wall. You could also consider some modern looking low depth on-wall options over the bulky boxy speakers and stands. There is quite many high performing on-wall speakers depending of your budget. Perhaps 4.1 system without centre then if the small couch is staying as there is no room for it.

Dali has example Oberon On-Wall and Opticon LCR right side (old model) if higher budget, but could be too large for wifes eyes. The first one goes 499£/pair and dimensions: 385 x 245 x 120 HxWxD.

View attachment 1713104

preview.jpg
Thanks @Gasp3621, that’s really helpful. I quite like those, but suspect they may be a little big for the wife (although gives her an option over bookshelf or even floorstanders).

Where would you put the centre in the proposed layout (with telly on the wall, assuming I can get it there - with the motorised lift a favourite option)?

Htfanboy

Tell wife to go to a different room if she doesn't use it? And ignore her wants and preferences?

After all what's the issue if she doesn't use the damn system?

Gerry557

Putting a bigger TV on the wall might mean less furniture so the room feels bigger. It will also sit much closer to the wall so more space again. Addionally the bigger TV will only feel bigger for a few days, you soon get used to it and looking at the pictures might even be on the small size for the viewing distance anyway.

I can understand the tv not dominating the room issue. A slide show of pictures and some calm music might help initially as the other poster highlighted. Add a promise to put a new canvas over the tv in a future time if shes still unhappy. Hopefully by then the new normal will kick in.

Also talk up a big pj screen and she will either give in or compromise on the new TV so win win.

StevenU

Standard Member
How about putting the new TV to the left hand side of that end wall on a swivel wall mount and angle it out when you watch it? Put a low cabinet below it with your equipment in and you could even suspend a slim centre speaker from the wall mount so that it pulls out with the TV. Your left speaker could go in between the window and fireplace and your right speaker to the right of the new cabinet, both angled at about 30 degrees across the corner. Swap the two seat sofa and chair around and arrange your four surround speakers opposite the TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom