Help needed on Pioneer DVR-940HX-S

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dennyblair, Jan 19, 2008.

1. dennyblair

dennyblair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pioneer DVR-940HX-S - need help on transferring from V+ box Help and from VHS tapes.

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,047
    Welcome to the forum.

You've not given us much to go on in terms of what help you require.

Basically, look at 14 of your manual. Connect V+ TV scart to AV2 [ top scart] of the Pioneer.

Connect your VCR to input 3 [ No 12 on diagram].

To record either, select the appropriate input and push record.

3. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    if its standard home made vhs tapes just link up with a scart lead from a vcr and copy as normal using the correct line input

if its original tapes then read the announcement at the top of the page regarding copy protection and what you can and cannot talk about on the forums

4. dennyblair

dennyblair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gavtech. So far as the V+ box is concerned I havef ollowed the instructions to identify the recorded programmes I want to transfer to the Pioneer HD and I can set the latter to do that. Because I am wanting to transfer about 8 hours of recording at a time, I do it at night. The problem is that by the morning DVR hadn't turned itself off when the last recording had been transferred. This means I am getting hours of "nothing" being recorded which I then have to locate and delete. There must be a way of setting the DVR to turn itself off but I can't find how to do it.
    Also, for the VHS tape transfer if there is a way of transferring at a faster rate than normal I haven't discovered how to do that.
    Sorry, if I sound a novice but I suppose I am!:mad:

5. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,047
    The simplest way of getting it to switch off is to use the Instant timer feature.
    Press the record button on the unit multiple times. Each press adds 30 minutes to the recording length.

VHS transfers have to be done in real time. There is no other option.

6. Chaa006

Chaa006
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Welcome to the 940HX club ! Others have already answered your question, but do please let me know when/if you connect a second (eSATA) drive. I have added a Seagate 500Gb unit to mine (there was an initial glitch, but all now seems well), but I have yet to find any utility that can read the data back from the eSATA drive (other than the Pioneer box, of course !).

The great beauty of the second drive is that you can archive an original recording before dividing it; then, if you divide it in the wrong place (and bearing in mind that there is no "combine titles" feature : a sad omission, IMHO), you can always replace it from archive. Since the second drive can be literally any size, this means that you're not limited to archiving recordings <= 8.5gB.

7. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,047
    I don't know the Pioneer's interface system, but the normal way of working around that issue in other makes of machine, is to combine titles using the 'Playlists' function.

Have you looked into that?

8. Chaa006

Chaa006
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes, I can combine for playing purposes, and I can combine when writing to DVD, but what I cannot do is what my cheapo Targa box did with ease : just rejoin two titles back to one on a single hard disc ! Targa support both split and merge operations, but the better machines seem to lack the merge feature. I had hoped that the "combine during copy" which is supported for HDD -> DVD copying might also be supported for HDD -> HDD2, but sadly it is not ...

9. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,047
    OK - Understood.