help needed on new dvd recorder...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by stolt, Oct 22, 2003.

1. stolt

stolt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi brand new poster on these forums, been hanging around here for the last couple of weeks and would really like some advice on what dvd recorder to go for or more like will the recorder i have in mind meet my requirements. I've had a search round the net looking for info but these forums seem the best place to ask... I would like the Panasonice E50 (some sites show EBS after the number the others don't!!) not sure what EBS stands for. My main uses at the moment will be to tranfer my digital video tapes to dvd and also tranfer some old VHS tapes onto dvd aswell. I have the a thompson digital camcorder which has a dv in/out. Will/how will i connect the camcorder upto it? would it be via the firewire, I've seen other threads that say the E60 is the better model to go for, but will the E50 cover my needs?
    The cheapest I've seen the E50 is £235 and thats mult-region, any places that you would recomend getting this from the net that you have used in the past?

I have a laptop but it does not have a dvd burner someone suggested this would be the easier route to go and burn them from my laptop. the dvd burners for my laptop cost about the same as a stand a lone recorder, any advice on what route to go down?

2. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I believe the E60 has firewire but the E50 does not.......So if firewire is important to you then the bargain basement E50 machines I am afraid won't fit the bill......

3. stolt

stolt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks for the reply, have to look around for a cheap E60 now, i guess the firewire is going be my most wanted because I really only need it for the digital camer tapes.... unless someone can asdvise on the laptop situation

4. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,873
    I wouldn't advise the DVD burner route. I tried it and it is a pain.

The E60 is the one with firewire. Remember, the Panasonic's use RAM and DVD-R.

If you want to share recordings on RW then DVD+RW would be better such as the Sony and Philips.

5. stolt

stolt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks nwgarret, your not the first person to tell me that. ok so thats out the window! I do want to make copies of the dvds of the camcorder films for family etc, can i not record the film on dvd from the camcorder and make several copies of that..
    As people can probably tell, I'm a real beginner on this and only a few weeks ago thought that dvd recorders were still really expensive until i found this forum..

thanks once again to the replies

6. disco dude

disco dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    go for the e50 or e60, Panasonic are great brought mine about 3 weeks ago and everything i have copied play on other machines no problem.
    Dvd-r are more compatible than dvd+r.
    Its your choice m8 but if you decide to go for panasonic i know you will be satisfied with its capabilities cause i was.

7. stolt

stolt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    disco dude - how would i connect my video camera to the e50 though? i really fancy that model but its that one point that is holding me back!

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    You can achieve identical results by recording a camcorder input on the E60 as on the Sony using DVD+RW disks in that you cannot do any editting but the disk will play in many DVD players. The only difference is that DVD-R has near universal compatibility (96%+) whereas DVD+RW is nearer 88% compatibility.

You can do limited editting on the Philips and still make the disk compatible but the edits are not precise and disk space cannot be recovered.

The only way to make proper, editted recordings that play on other DVD players is with a HDD/DVDR combo such as the Panasonic HS2 or Pioneer 5100.

If you want to make uneditted DVD recordings of your camcorder films any DVD recorder will do provided it has iLink, i.e. consider the JVC DMR1, Panasonic E60, Pioneer 3100, Samsung DR1, Philips DVDR75 among others (plus any HDD/DVDR combo bar the Toshiba RX3). The only difference is that DVD-R compatibility is slightly (7-8%) higher than DVD+R compatibility.

9. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,873
    I was referring to the situation where a RW would be needed to share, and as RAM is the only RW medium on the Panasonics, the +RW would be better.

There must be situations where the recording would only be watched once and then given back.

Also, Stolt, the E60 has a firewire port for camcorders, if you have the ability.

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Yeah fair enough - I take you point - but if recording to compatible re-write media is an issue he should consider DVD-RW (which is, after all, slightly more compatible than DVD+RW) and that way would retain the benefits of such a system (Editting, Timeslip etc) depending on what machine he buys. DVD-RW compatible iLink recorders are the JVC DMR1, Pioneer 3100, Pioneer 5100 and Sony GX7.

Firewire and iLink are one and the same.

11. stolt

stolt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    many thanks for the replies, rasczak i will definatley check out those other models and weigh up the cost factor against the panni e60. At the end of the day i only want to record the camcorder tapes and i dont think i'll be editing them so it's just a straight recording that i need. Can anyone reccomend some reliable e-tailers they have bought their recorders from?

12. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  13. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
  14. stolt

stolt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    once again a big thank for everyones help, I'm off to check out those websites...

15. stolt

stolt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A local shop to me has a panasonic hs2 for sale at £350.00 which looking around the net which doesnt seem too bad price, it comes witha 12mnth warranty so all ok, there, thinking about what people have been saying eariler I think I've changed my mind and rather than just use the recorder for my tape tsfrs, I'm going to record from sky aswell, can anyone advise if this is a good starters model, seems to have good reviews and has everything that I need, I had the shop put it on hold til tomorrow evening for me which seems quite good.. thanks

16. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282