Help needed on front 3 surround speakers...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by ashurek, Mar 28, 2006.

1. ashurek

ashurek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought myself a new Panasonic TH37PE50 tv and I'm in the process of wall mounting it with all the cables etc behind the plasterwork.

I've just come to the point where I need to position my surround speakers and would like to wall/ceiling mount the front 3. At first I was thinking of using my existing surround speakers (Sony DAVs400), but sink them into the wall cavity until the front was flush, although now decided this would look a bit naff!

I don't have much of a budget to spend on replacements and just want something that will be equivalent of my existing ones. I've seen these though on ebay…

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DOWNLIGHT-SIZ...71856QQcategoryZ46701QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Do you think they would be ok?

Thanks

2. Jammyb

Jammyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +576
    I think they'd sound truly awful.

Your front 3 speakers should be at ear level height and the centre should be as near to the centre of the screen as possible (i.e. directly above or below it) as you want dialogue to sound like it's coming out of people mouths, not out of the ceiling or high up on the wall.

There are plenty of excellent speakers that will fit into a wall, but you need to budget more than you're looking at for those.

3. ashurek

ashurek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was actually thinking of fitting them directly into the plasterboard facing out - at the same height as the plasma, with the centre one just underneath it.

I thought they'd be ok as I need something as small as possible (wife's interior design specifications!)