1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help needed on first home setup

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mrbluesky, Jul 18, 2002.

1. mrbluesky

mrbluesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now must sort out a DVD player and sound system
    only problem is I am on a tight budget £400 /£450 only.
    I was thinking on:

Toshiba SD220 DVD
    Yamaha VS10 cinema station

wish I could afford more but I can not
    have you any comments on these systems or can you recommend
    a system?

Dont think I want to get a allinone system but if you can recommend a good one
    :confused:

2. Sozzled

Sozzled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello mrbluesky, ( elo fan? ) I got into home cinema after someone I work with gave me a dem of his system which included the VS10. First time I`d heard a surround sound system and was impressed enough to go out and get my own.

He still has it and is very happy with it.

I ended up purchasing a Yamaha HTIB system because i liked the sound and couldn`t get a VS10 at the time.

Can`t comment on the Tosh as I`ve never seen one in action, but I`m sure someone else will be able to supply info on this.

As always my advice is to get a shortlist and then dem the equipment and decide for youself. Other people can help guide you but they are your ears/eyes and its your cash.

3. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Nothing wrong with the Tosh dvd player and a good entry level player, for your money you could get the Marantz Sr4200 or 5200, but im not sure if u need speakers in your set up as you have not said so. In which casi the yam htib45 has been getting some good reviews.

4. PeterL

PeterL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Toshiba SD220 DVD player and Yamaha HTiB-45 AV amp & speaker package for a little under £500 just over 2 months ago.

Apart from a problem with the Tosh (due to a firmware problem which is resolved in players being solved now), I have been absolutely delighted with the setup. It really rocks!

If you shop around a bit you could get all this for around £450. Richer Sounds are selling the Tosh (R2 only) for £120 (£145 if you want multi-region) and you should be able to pick up the Yamaha HTiB-45 package from someone like Empire Direct for around £320.

HTH,
    PeterL