Help needed on DVD-Receiver Audio Connection

Northernlight

Standard Member
Reaction score
I bought a new Cambridge Azur 540 yesterday from Richer to kick off my home cinema experience.

I already have a Toshiba HDMI upscaling DVD player, which i have connected via HDMI to my Toshiba 1080p TV and i wanted to get better sound than the TV's speakers offer. So i bought the receiver and hooked up the speakers (i only have 2 at the mo) and the guy at Richer said that i needed a co-axial cable to run from the DVD to the receiver to play DVD's/CD's through the speakers, which i then bought at the same time.

However, i have connected to the coaxial terminal on the DVD and the co-axial input on the back of the receiver...and nothing? I have tried it with convenional audio interconnects and it works fine.

Can anyone offer advice on this as i'm rather a novice!

Two things.
1. Assuming you have connected the DVD player co-ax to the AZUR DVD co-ax in you will need to assign this in the menu as you have a choice, optical, co-ax and stereo, you need co-ax.
2. In the DVD player set audio out to bitstream, otherwise no sound. (Actual fact do this first just in case there is no need to change the AZUR.) Also check in the DVD player menu "Video" that the aspect is set to 16:9 and not some 4:3 format.

Thanks Andy, that's very helpful.

The azur has an on-screen menu, but i haven't got a cable yet to connect it to the tv. What is best, optical or some form of cable?

Any cable really. If your TV has a side entry Composite or S-Video just use the cheapest one you can find (Long enough) plug it in, do the necessary and then un plug, pointless leaving it plugged in as you will hardly use it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom