Help needed on dlna

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by blobq, Aug 4, 2012.

1. blobq

blobq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    ello

can someone tell me if this is possible, if so how.

I have LG 47" LED tv with DNLA in an office, i want to be able to view documents i.e word, architect & building drawings on this screen. (just so they are bigger to view) The docs will be stored on a netgear ready nas duo v2.

The screen is cat 5 wired to a netgear switch along with my laptop (win 7) & adsl router. The netgear ready nas duo connected to the router.

The netgear nas box folders are viewable from my network on the laptop but i cannot open the front view web page to this, (https://192.168.0.2/admin)
    its pingable, ive cleared the ssl state but no luck.

someone suggested a OS reset, ive tried this but the LED's dont flash & the system does not turn off. Should i take this back & get a different type?

So basically i was hoping to be able to view the nas box from the TV & open up these docs as well as from the laptop.

please help.

2. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,648
    Dlna has a very basic requirement for certification , it is chiefly concerned with media , that is , Video , Music and Photos.

It does not cover Office or Cad documents , these require the original program to open them and the processing power required to run such programs , something a TV does not have.

The only workarounds are to directly connect the PC to the screen , or to capture the documents and drawings as a photo format the TV can handle or sequence them into movie format the TV can handle.

Regardling DLNA , this is getting massively oversold and most think it is a badge that says the TV will show anything , this is not the case.

Note that this is all that is required for a DLNA logo , under the media format and transport model tab,

Technical Overview

Note that most device manufacturers will go over and above the basic requirements , which are very basic indeed and wouldnt make anyone happy , also note , that no office, cad formats or capability to run such software packages is a requirement.

Your NAS will supply these documents to any device that can recognise them , chances are though , that they will not be visible on your TV over its network connection because your TV will not recognise the formats.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  3. blobq

blobq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi

thanks for the info, so basicall i can connect my laptop to the tv using hdmi connection, will that work?

If the nas box has hdmi, will that work as well?

Ive seen people talk about a netgear push2tv box, is that the same as dlna?

4. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,648
    If your laptop has a HDMI out , that should work no problem.
    Nas boxes very very rarely have HDMI out , They are what they say they are , Network attached Storage , they usually have network connections to your router , most dont have video out connections at all.

You would be talking about stepping up to a microserver such as the HP proliant before you start to see video out.

Its nothing to do with DLNA , its based on Intel Widi , which is Intels version of Wireless HDMI and you would need a laptop that has this for this box to work with it.
    Theres a review here , it should give you an idea of what it can and cannot do.

Netgear Push2TV HD (PTV2000) Review & Rating | PCMag.com

5. Curly99

Curly99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    Thread moved

Curly