1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help needed on building a hcpc

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by murrayd, Feb 16, 2002.

1. murrayd

murrayd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as you can see this is my first post & would like to take this opportunity to say that the help & advice given on this forum is 1st class,hope to be able to contribute myself.

i'm looking at having a hcpc built by a local shop & would like some advice on which parts to use.
    the pc will be used for av & video games & will be connected to a 36in widesreen (pany,pf10) until funds allow the purchase of a
    sony11ht,the sound will be connected to a avc-a1se running through kef speakers (ref-3.2,200c,34ds) +rel storm 3 sub, i've short listed some parts below;

atx case wt-y400 300 watt

power dvd / pioneer106 dvd

high performance fan upto 1.7 gb athlon

ati radeon ve 64mb tv out / gforce 2 mx400 64mg graphics card

256mb m.o.t. pc133 memory

internal 56k modem ambient chipset

soltec sl75kav skt am`board 266 fsb

athlon 1800 xp processer

m-audio 24/96 sound card/

maxtor 40gb hard drive 5400

what do you think off wireless keyboards/mouses ?

the above parts are recomended by the shop owner apart from the sound card & dvd drives,which i chose from recomendation off this forum.
    i'm sure some of these parts can be improved upon,if so which !

my knowledge on pc`s is quite basic, so any help is appreciated

cheers,
    murrayd

2. Dangerous

Dangerous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,412
    murrayd, I use the Airboard wireless keyboard & mouse. It's ok, but I'd probably want something a lot better if I used my hcpc for games and surfing.
    I assume you're taking the TV out of your graphics card into your TV. It won't look very good at all. Infact it may even look terrible.
    There really is little point in using your HCPC as a HCPC until you get your projector. An £89.99 DVD player will be much more convenient and as good picture wise. Your 24/96 sound card will beat it audio wise but there's little point in having that extra oomph in sound if the picture is crap.
    By the way, maybe you ought to consider quietening things down with quiet PSU fan and CPU fan from www.quietpc.com.
    And is your hard drive a quiet one?
    And I'd get 512 meg of RAM, too.

4. murrayd

murrayd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the repley's & link's.

i've read the link over in the avs forum, lots of information, need to read it 2/3 times to take it all in.

the reason to build a hcpc is to give me access to better games now as my current pc is not up to the job, & then to use it connected to a projecter, as i understand it give a higher resolution,therefore better image.at the moment i'm using a sony 7700 connected via s-video to tv, will the pc dvd drive give a vast improvement in picture over the sony when used with a projecter.

will the onboard graphic card give a picture on par with a playstation 2 when using tv out. i understand that there will be a drop in quality from using a monitor but it seem a shame not to use a 36in widesreen for video games.

not sure about the noise of the harddrive,just going on the shops recomendation but will look in to it.

does anybody have any information on the new gforce 4 mx-420 graphics card.

last question,will there be any hcpc at next weeks bristol show on demo

thanks;
    murrayd

5. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,412
    I suspect - though I don't know for sure - tha the PS2 will produce a far, far superior picture to the TV out of a graphics card.
    Radeon is the preferred video card for DVD playback as I understand it.
    I think you'll be able to see a HCPC being used at the Stands Unique stand.

6. Dangerous

Dangerous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Stay clear of Radeon VE 64. This card is "Powered by ATI" and not build by ATI. ATI is not wonderful in its driver support but a Chinese/Taiwanese manufacturer will be even worse.

Check recent re-call of Radeon VE 64 cards by Digital Connection.

8. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Yes indeed - the quality of the card is fine (I have a Supergrace Radeon) but the driver support is iffy.
    They are actually the ATI drivers but trying to install Proper ATI drivers doesn't seem to work.
    THe only two driver versions available are 7199 and 7109. Not great - especially with TheaterTek which could really do with 7093 drivers for my os.

The money difference isn't as much as it was when I bought. If I was rebuying (which I might) I would get a ATI Radeon 7200.

Hope that helps
    Alex