1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help needed on bipoles please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by john_hk, Jul 26, 2005.

1. john_hk

john_hk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,
    I am putting my first 5.1 Channel AV kit together and I have gone for full size speakers rather than a sat pack.
    I have gone for missions and so far have m31is and m3c2.
    I am looking for a set of bipoles as the rear and also a sub.
    I have the choice of the m3ds, m5ds or m7ds.
    Is there really any difference with these or is it purely a price thing?
    I can get the following:
    m3ds at 110 pounds
    m5ds at 110 pounds
    m7ds at 90 pounds ex display model - (little dusty otherwise ok)

For the sub I am looking at either the MS309, MS907, Warfadale sw150 or the like. Do these go with the missions?

Thanks for any help.
    John

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
  3. john_hk

john_hk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks,
    I don't think I can afford that sub.
    So for the bi-poles since I can get the m5ds and m3ds for the same money it is logical to get the m5ds? However will it go with my fronts and centres or will they be too powerful and I should get the m3ds/ m7ds instead?

Thanks again.

4. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I think you should be ok with the m5ds, there is probably not that much diffrence between them but if you want to keep verything the same you can go for the m3ds.

Remember that speakers will only play what there given so if they have a poor quality signal sent by a week amp over a cheap low efficency wire, your speakers no mater how expensive (or cheap) will not sound there best.

I have the m3ds connected with some silver micro (made a big difference to cheap bell wire, the speaker came alive) to a yamaha 2500. The speaker produces a very good sound, music sounds like music and thunder sounds like thunder.

5. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    On the sub front i think pretty much everyone is agreed that the manufacturer doesn't have to match up with the other speakers maker (certainly no where near as importnat as having the front 3 speakers beeing of the same manufacturere and prefereably range) .

And that tweeking through sub placement and volume make a massive difference to the quality of sound you get from the sub.

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    There is no tonal matching involved with a sub so just buy the best that you can afford - not sure about the others but the MS309 is well thought of.

7. HSC

HSC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I have a pair of m7ds and an m7c for sale in light gray if your intersested.
    the speakers are best placed just behind you but on the side walls - and the m7c makes a great wall mounted rear speaker for a 6.1 setup.

sub wise - like everyone said get the best you can afford.

8. mr_yogi

mr_yogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    Just thought I would add that I have recently bought a pair of Mission m7ds' and I have been very impressed. I have the gray/ white ones and they blend in with white wall very nicely :)

I get a bit confused by the naming conventions of the Mission rear speakers but there is a thread on here which does a good job of unravelling it :)

From what I read the m7ds and m3ds are very similar and more towards the affordable end of the range. However I'm using them with front speakers from the 75 and 78 range and they are doing a great job. So thoroughly recommended :thumbsup:

9. john_hk

john_hk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks to all the replies.
    I like the triangular look of the md5s more than the m3ds/ m7ds so I will most likely go for them.
    On the sub front the MS907 can be had for a lot (100 pounds) cheaper than the MS309, since it is older. So will get that also.

Mission accomplished! (no pun intended)