Help needed on a 5.1.4 setup

Tiagodores

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'll change house in the first months of 2022 and I want to upgrade my outdated surround setup.
I have a Sony str-db1070 receiver with 4 Sony ss-la500ed speakers, 1 ss-la505ed central speaker and one pioneer s-w150s sub.
My idea is to change the receiver to a Denon avc-x3700h and change the front speakers for a better stereo music listening and the for that I'm considering the triangle borea br08 in light oak colour.
For Atmos once I'm changing to a new house I was planning to go for in ceiling speakers probably one of the triangle's range which to be honest I have no idea what to choose. Regarding the sub I was thinking of keeping this one as it's also light oak colour but I'm open for ideas if the change is for better but not too expensive keeping in mind that I might consider add a second sub in the future.

What do you think about this setup? Will it work? Will the Sony and the Boreas work well together? Will the Sony central speaker appear between the 2 bigger br08 or is it wiser to change it for a borea brc1?

Can you please help me with what to do or to change in order to have the best results for what I pretend.

Thank you in advance!

You say music how important is music to your listening requirement. I assume your looking at 5.1.2 config. Thats 3 front,2 surround and 2 in the roof with a sub?

While then 3700 is a very good AV it not the best for music and this would be compromise. You sale money and go for the Yamaha A2A or spend more and get an A4A or NAD 758. Either would provide good Music and the latter would has Dirac live and would mostly likely sound the best for having so,

Getting a good fronted 3 speakers is important as for others you can budget less money. BK do very good value for money Subs which review well and Monoprice door some good value subs also.

You say music how important is music to your listening requirement. I assume your looking at 5.1.2 config. Thats 3 front,2 surround and 2 in the roof with a sub?

While then 3700 is a very good AV it not the best for music and this would be compromise. You sale money and go for the Yamaha A2A or spend more and get an A4A or NAD 758. Either would provide good Music and the latter would has Dirac live and would mostly likely sound the best for having so,

Getting a good fronted 3 speakers is important as for others you can budget less money. BK do very good value for money Subs which review well and Monoprice door some good value subs also.
Thanks for the prompt reply!
Let's say music and movies will be half and half of the usage... When I say 5.1.4 u mean 3 fronts, 2 surround and 4 in ceiling plus one sub.
Before choosing the Denon I also looked the Yamaha but the a4a has 7.2 channels and for my setup I need at least 9.1 for now.
Regarding the quality, honestly I'm a noob so probably I wouldn't even notice big difference between the 2 of them so I'm looking for the best all around receviver and by the reviews I've seen I got the idea the Denon was the best choice.

Regarding the subs you suggest can you name any specific model that would fit my setup?

Thanks for the prompt reply!
Let's say music and movies will be half and half of the usage... When I say 5.1.4 u mean 3 fronts, 2 surround and 4 in ceiling plus one sub.
Before choosing the Denon I also looked the Yamaha but the a4a has 7.2 channels and for my setup I need at least 9.1 for now.
Regarding the quality, honestly I'm a noob so probably I wouldn't even notice big difference between the 2 of them so I'm looking for the best all around receviver and by the reviews I've seen I got the idea the Denon was the best choice.

Regarding the subs you suggest can you name any specific model that would fit my setup?

X3700H is best all around receiver in that ~1k€ region, you can later add better integrated amp if you wish for 2ch listening as it has preouts, but as you haven´t heard any expensive unit side by side it won´t sound bad with music.

Buy Borea center channel when funds allow if you go with Borea mains, that Sony looks cheap lifestyle speaker.

For the subwoofer save up for SVS as you live in Portugal there isn´t many of the usual options available. Found these dealers for SVS. Some of those still sell the old models which are non Pro, so if you want phone app control and little better overall product look the 1000 range Pro models SB = sealed, PB= ported.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom