Help needed. (new tv showing weaknesses

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by middlk, Jul 28, 2003.

1. middlk

middlk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help please ?
    I have just purchased a new TV (Pan TX32PD30)
    I think this is showing up problems with my satalite signal and terrestrial antenna signal.
    When I check the signal strength and quality on my sky box they are at 50% with the quality sometimes droping to 40%
    would this give a poor quality picture or do you have to loose the "lock" before you loose picture. Is it the same as analog where the less signal you have the worse the picture gets.
    On the normal aerial side of things would a better aerial get rid of the Pixelation I sometimes get on some broadcasts (mainly BBC)
    I will be most grateful for any help.

2. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    You should be ok with a quality of 40-50%, however it may be a bit iffy in inclement weather.

3. Kearney

Kearney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Digital is not like analogue, if you can see the digital picture then it is ok however a poor signal is more likely to be lost in heavy rain as mentioned above.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    With a digital signal, break-up when it occurs, is very intrusive - huge square blocks on the image, horizontal bands of picture freezing, and so on, usually static and visible for, say, half a second or longer.

If you are only seeing some minor pixellation that is very, very transient - small areas, lasting for only a frame or two (split second), and most noticeable on scenes with either a LOT of moving fine detail, or soft fades, then it is more likely to be a simple artefact of the compression used for all DTV transmissions (and DVD - although usually to a MUCH lesser extent).