• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help needed! New sky/freesat user

karl_coverdale

Standard Member
Hi everyone, I am in the near future moving into a new build house and am at the stage where I need to give the electrician definite answers on what I want/need.
I would like to have both Sky HD and Freesat available together in two rooms-or at least the option of having it in the future. Having never had any sort of satellite tv I have no idea of what faceplates need putting in (ie double?) or whether a quad lnb is sufficient?
Sorry I know this probably sounds really muddled but any help would be greatly appreciated

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Hi everyone, I am in the near future moving into a new build house and am at the stage where I need to give the electrician definite answers on what I want/need.
I would like to have both Sky HD and Freesat available together in two rooms-or at least the option of having it in the future. Having never had any sort of satellite ** I have no idea of what faceplates need putting in (ie double?) or whether a quad lnb is sufficient?
Sorry I know this probably sounds really muddled but any help would be greatly appreciated

Count up the tuners, 1 for a non recording box, 2 for a recording pvr. You need 1 output from a multilnb for each tuner. Max from a single dish using a normal universal lnb is 8 using a octal lnb. More than this you need a 2nd dish or a bigger dish with a quattro lnb feeding a multiswitch distribution system. In this case it's one cable from a multiswitch to each tuner (ie two for a pvr). You can add terrestrial to a sat feed to each location by multiplexing terrestrial and satellite on one cable.

Geofbob

Hi Karl - I note that you make no mention of providing for connections from a terrestrial aerial (for Freeview) - perhaps you already have that in mind, but if not you may wish to instruct the electrican accordingly.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
While we are chucking in suggestions :D. Consider running cat5e lan cables to any point where you might use a computer or TV. Freesat for instance gets BBCi player over a home lan later this year and it's always usefull to be able to stream video and audio from a PC.

karl_coverdale

Standard Member
Hi Graham, as you may have guessed I'm really clueless so I apologise for the possible stupidity of this question in advance. Do the cat5e lan cables just run from your computer to the tv? If I'm having my laptop and telephone sockets near to the tv's is there a need to have these put in by an electrician?
Thanks in advance.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Hi Graham, as you may have guessed I'm really clueless so I apologise for the possible stupidity of this question in advance. Do the cat5e lan cables just run from your computer to the tv? If I'm having my laptop and telephone sockets near to the tv's is there a need to have these put in by an electrician?
Thanks in advance.

Not normally but they allow the use of a box called a video server that can take most media like photos, videos and music stored on a computer and stream it to your hifi or TV. They need connecting at the computer end to a router on a broadband connection. Freesat TV's have a ethernet port that later this year will allow you to watch BBCi player on a TV using your broadband connection. Because these cables don't carry significant voltages you don't need an electrician to connect them, but in a new build it makes sense to have them installed as the cost is minimal. You can also use cat5e/cat6 cable to send High Definition
TV signals over considerable distances. For example you might have a high definition sat pvr under your main TV but would like to watch it on a 2nd HD TV in your bedroom. A length of cat6 lan cable and a pair of baluns would let you do just that

Example
HDMI over Cat 5 (Dual) Balun Pair - Long Distance HDMI

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom