• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HELP Needed new build

JacquesNoir

right i ordered my dream parts they arrived,
i start building today it took an age!!

had it all in place then when i hit the power button a surge of power would go thru the machine, like a pulse the fans would spin an the leds would flash on,
then it would die, not boot up

this is the machine

evga x58 classified 3x SLI
i7 920 d0 stepping
6gm dominator ram 2000mhz
v10 cooler
GTX275
700w PSU

some1 please help,

been on it 7hours today and its leaving a bad taste in my mouth

done the usual stripped it down redone it, unplugged the ram an plugged it back in, etc..

my friend is convinced its the PSU, but as it was working in my other rig earlier today....

Deadringers

Distinguished Member
any beeps from the system speaker? usually this is a good indicator as to what is going on.

or does your MoBo come with one of those back pannel things which lights up different LED configurations as to what is wrong with it?

also if you have another rig it would be worth testing the different components in that, i.e. put the gup and ram into it and see what you get.

JacquesNoir

the mobo itself lights up, no noise, from the mobo hadnt plugged in any speakers to see,

im giving it my mate to have a look at who has an i7 rig
so hopefully get it sorted and somat silly like wrongly configure wiring or need a new PSU

fingers crossed, im very sad now! as the BFBC2 bet areleased yesterday

JacquesNoir

yeah it should do? its the EVGA X58 Classified... well id bloody hope so!! lol

..El Nino..

Mine does exactly the same if it doesnt like my overclock on my processor. Do you know how to reset cmos? you know the little watch like battery on the motherboard.......diconnect all power and remove it for 30 seconds.....put it back in and try to switch on then.....?????????? :smashin:

stooeh

Mine does exactly the same if it doesnt like my overclock on my processor. Do you know how to reset cmos? you know the little watch like battery on the motherboard.......diconnect all power and remove it for 30 seconds.....put it back in and try to switch on then.....?????????? :smashin:

I think this board (like my GA-EX58 UD5) has a reset CMOS button on the mobo itself?

JacquesNoir

yeah it tells you to press the reset button before turning it on, like the first boot up..

im handing it over to my friend to look at tomoz he knows more than i do... so hopefully get it sorted,

also ordered a new PSU as the 1 i had may be abit naff i mean whos heard of i-cute

..El Nino..

I have learnt the hard way with PSU's through the years and in my opinion is the one component that should not be skimped upon, always stick to good brand names and remember the big number e.g 700W means absolutely nothing...always check the capacity of the rails thats the most important thing especially with a rig with your specs.... good luck.

JacquesNoir

you be glad to know ive went for corsair 1000w modular PSU

seemed to have good reviews, hopefully once my mate plugs his PSU in, should fire up

thanks

PartyGirl

If you're going to O/C your CPU, and lets face it, you wouldn't have bought that board if you weren't, then connect both of your 8 pin ATX cables as this will lessen the vdroop, also try setting your vdimm to 1.63v instead of 1.65v as this board has a tendency to overvolt the ram.

If you've never had i7 before then you certainly like doing things the hard way :rotfl:
this board is nowhere near as easy as the R2E or the P6TD for example

Edit: Get rid of that V10 thingy, you shouldn't even think of going air on this board, if you must then get the Megahalems, it is a slightly better fit than the TRUE

Last edited:

JacquesNoir

well it was the bloody cheap and nasty PSU!!

as for the OC my mates doing it, hes got an i7 build,

errrm get rid of the v10... errm im abit scared when it comes to water!! eeek

PhoenixRising

You don't have go for water but Partygirl is right, you should get rid of the V10 cooler (I'm assuming it's the Cooler Master V10). The Megahalems is a much better cooler and is much cheaper, i.e. here:

Prolimatech Megahalems CPU Cooler (Rev.B) Intel LGA775 & 1156 / 1366 [Megahalems] from Overclock.co.uk - Overclocking, Performance Computer Hardware, PCs and Laptops

Though bear in mind you'll need to buy a seperate fan as it doesn't come with one.

PartyGirl

Then get the Megahalems ;)

Edit: Phoenix is right, you don't have to go water/c but this board was designed by overclockers with extreme overclocking in mind. I'll go water on this until i've got as much from it as i can but then i'll be going with an ss unit as this board will really start to shine then. Anyway, do as you've been told and get rid of that useless cooler ;) ...why would you want to cover your RAM anyway :confused:

Last edited:

JacquesNoir

already bought it like last week,

i quite like it, and yes its teh coolermaster... is it no good then?

i could look at reinvesting... im looking at watercooling in the summer hope i dont blow it up :)

JacquesNoir

You don't have go for water but Partygirl is right, you should get rid of the V10 cooler (I'm assuming it's the Cooler Master V10). The Megahalems is a much better cooler and is much cheaper, i.e. here:

Prolimatech Megahalems CPU Cooler (Rev.B) Intel LGA775 & 1156 / 1366 [Megahalems] from Overclock.co.uk - Overclocking, Performance Computer Hardware, PCs and Laptops

Though bear in mind you'll need to buy a seperate fan as it doesn't come with one.

which fans you reckon?

PartyGirl

which fans you reckon?

Depends what you are looking for...silence or performance?

If you want the lowest temps possible at the expense of noise go for something like a 38mm [email protected]

If you value your hearing and you don't use your machine for suicide runs then get a couple of these

Novatech : D1225C12B5AP-15 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm 1850 RPM Cooling Fan : novatech.co.uk

or these

Noctua NF-P12 Vortex-Control 1300RPM 120mm [NF-P12] from Watercooling UK

C.

JacquesNoir

well, i use the g35s so i can hardly hear anything when im gaming other than the game itself,

i dont leave my PC on overnight so it wont keep me up,
so i guess with OC i'd need performance,

thats why i thought the v10 would be alright?

you not rate that then? why is this? or is it merely you prefer the megawhatsit:)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom