Help needed - my new Sony KDL-40W2000 won't swich off anymore!

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by stonkmeister, Dec 24, 2006.

1. stonkmeister

stonkmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had this set for just over 3 weeks now and a recent fault has developed in that none of the buttons on top of the tv itself actually work at all. I can still use the remote control with full functionality and put the set on standby etc but to actually power the thing off means having to do it at the mains. I've called John Lewis today and they are arranging to send a third party engineer out to look at the set sometime after boxing day and as I understand it they've put another set on reserve so that mine can be swapped if the engineer agrees my set is faulty as it's less than 28 days old.

I have 2 questions which are:-

1) Has anyone had a similar problem with their set, or any other make of set come to that, and if so what was done to resolve it?

2) If the engineer offers to repair it on the spot should I accept this or reject the set as faulty anyway and request the replacement I've been promised by JL?

Any help or advice anyone can give would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Inked

Inked
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    If the engineer agrees it's faulty request the replacement as the goods are under 28 days old.

3. dan54

dan54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    This is probably a long shot but has this tv got a childlock?

4. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    Does the TV have any dead pixels or backlight uneven-ness?

If NOT, try and get them to repair rather than replace the whole thing...

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,256
    Yes, I go with Lyris. Whilst buying an LCD TV isn't exactly the lottery that reading a forum such as this (inevitably biased towards problems) might lead you to believe, there does remain the possibility that the repacement is worse in some more subtle respect than this one. It's probably nothing more than a loose wire in the control panel.

If the TV is a **good** one otherwise, I think I'd accept a repair. But make sure that JL know you reserve your rights under the Sale of Goods act to a refund in the event you are not satisfied. I doubt, though, that JL will give you unnecessary grief.

6. stonkmeister

stonkmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No dan54 at least not that I'm aware of - I've checked the fairly limited troubleshooting guide in the user manual and there's nothing mentioned about my particular problem so I really do think that the set is actually faulty. Anyway I guess I'll just have to wait and see what the engineer says when he calls.

7. stonkmeister

stonkmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Well actually I do have just the one dead pixel and some backlight uneveness(my set is an Oct 2006 build). The dead pixel really doesn't bother me as it's hardly noticeable under normal viewing conditions/distances. As for the backlight I'd kind of convinced myself I could live with it as it doesn't seem as bad as some of the examples/pictures I've seen on these forums. Also when I rang JL to complain about the backlight after 5 days of ownership they told me that they would have to send an engineer out to make an assessment of the problem but if he found it to be within what he considered to be "acceptable tolerance levels" (whatever that means - seems a little too subjective to me) I would be charged £30 for the privelege. I tried to argue with JL that the set was under guarantee and less than a week old so why should I have to pay and the JL guy said it was a subsidised charge and that JL paid about £20 towards the overall cost of the call out which was actually around £50. I then asked what if I just rejected the set as faulty and he then said something about a 10% restocking charge which I didn't want to lose so I backed off. Also when I got the set I got it with the price match against their Peterborough store at £1569 with the HXD860 recorder thrown in for free and I also arranged for a Sky HD installation which I've now had done with the box at £149 and £100 cashback to come when I send my claim form and receipt off which I aim to do during the first couple of weeks of next year. So all in all I got what I think was a very good deal which I'm extremely happy with and overall I must say this is a cracking tv especially with Sky HD and xbox 360 thru vga or component (the add-on hd dvd drive next is on my shopping list but I'm not going to rush out and buy one for silly money on e-bay just waiting for retail stock levels to recover and buy one then). I just want a set that's as perfect as possible for my hard earned cash just like anyone else so I guess my best option might be to get my set swapped and hope that there's no more than one dead pixel and no backlight issues and if it is any worse than my previous set I'll have to raise a separate complaint if I find it necessary (assuming that I get another 28 days from delivery of the replacement set).

8. stonkmeister

stonkmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Inked

Can you tell me if I end up having this set replaced do I get another 28 days to reject the replacement if I have good reason to and also what about the guarantee? Does it cover me for 5 years from the date of the changeover or will it be backdated to my original purchase date?

TIA

stonkmeister

9. stonkmeister

stonkmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to update you all on this one further to my earlier posts:-

The problem I was having with the control panel on the top of my set "locking up" proved to be intermittent :confused: and at the time the third party repair company called me last Wednesday to confirm that their engineer would be calling to look at the set the next day I informed them of this and they said they would still send the engineer round to me anyway.

When he arrived the set appeared to be working "normally" - he gave it a very thorough inspection - removing the rear panel checking that all connections to the control panel were intact and that the connected pcb wasn't cracked or damaged which it wasn't.

He then said it could possibly be a software problem but he couldn't be sure and that he would declare the set as "faulty" which would entitle me to a refund/replacement from John Lewis.

Initially I decided to stick with the set as it then seemed to be working fine and also, just as importantly from my point of view, I didn't want to take a gamble on any replacement set having any worse backlight uneveness or more stuck/dead pixels than I already had.

Unfortunately on Friday the fault with the control panel started to occur again so I rang JL and they accepted my request for a replacement set without question and the swap over has now been arranged to take place tomorrow :thumbsup:

As you can probably guess I'm very happy with this , however the only slight worry in my mind is that I may end up with a worse set than I already have regarding the issues mentioned above but at least I will get another 28 days from tomorrow in which I can reject the set if necessary which is something I was reliably informed of by another member of this forum and have also had confirmed by JL's service desk.

Anyway I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this doesn't turn out to be the case and will let you all know what the new set is like when I've had a chance to test it out thoroughly.

best regards

stonkmeister