help needed Meridian 565

malariaboy

Prominent Member
Reaction score
i cannot seem to get my meridian to pick up DTS. It works fine in all other sound formats but no sound when dts is selcted on a dvd. Any help would be much appreciated. I have connected the dvd via a digitigal cable input, sky plus on optical digital input and cd player on analogue.

Any suggestions ??

have you been through and configured it properly, if i recall, i had to actually configure the input to handle dts.....

i will look this up for you if this is the case

ad

Assume you are Z3 board, what software version are you on?

Tried swapping cables / coax for optical?

Tried all sources?

Have you tried retyping the unit?

Are your menu's locked?

Still fiddling with all the settings myself, ask over at Hitchhikers, someone there will be able to help out.

Gus

page 46 of the install manual..... you need to configure how the 565 deals with a dts signal..... it needs the manuals to set it up, assuming it was setup right when you received it is also a serious mistake

ad

hi its the z3 version 4.4. think i know the problem but cant solve it :(. when you sort out the source in cfg, it gets to the digital preset but when i choose to go to next setting it doesnt go on to the dts preset?. it goes back to the label setting,obviously i need to choose a dts preset? any ideas

i'll look into it... i have to admit there has been instance when some of the things i thought should be present just werent...

ad

malariaboy

Suggestion....Contact Meridian and get a new eeprom chip for your 565.

If I remember correctly this should be free of charge.

The eeprom chip should contain the latest software updates (not sure which version). There maybe a later version than the 4.4

They should also send enclose a leaflet with installation instructions.

Hope this helps

Del:smoke:

Malariaboy, just as a matter of interest, and aside from your problems with dts...how does the performance of the 565 compare against your old Pioneer? What speakers are you using?

cheers
Matt

hi m8, well musically it knocks spots off the pioneer . as for films its certainly better but ive been told when i get it upgraded to the latest version it sounds better still . so at the moment i wouldnt go back to the pioneer :). ive sorted the dts problem now it was a known issue with my version but apparently meridian were sending the newer eeprom chip out to owners at no cost. so it should be a matter of fitting it myself .

Cool, mine should be arriving Monday morning:)

What's the latest software version?

Thanks Gus. What main differences did you notice between your 565 and your previous receiver?

Well now the honeymoon period has worn off I think I can give a fair opinion of the two.

The main difference is the subtlty of decoding, with the 565 you can hear things buried in the soundtrack which I have never heard with the 2011 (or Yam 3090 or Sony 930). Things like the tent ropes in Gladiator and noises coming from outside, water running in LOTR, the paper blowing in Blade. I find the same thing with good hifi and once you have heard the extra info you can pick it out on lesser equpment because you know it's there, but with top quality kit you don't have to strain to hear it.

The steering just seems more cohesive, in Gladiator the first battle, when the barbarian swings his weapon in a circle it's one continuous whooshing sound (is that a word?), you don't think that's the left side, that's the left rear.

The basics are there with the 2011 and to be honest it worked very well as a movie preamp, I was really sceptical that the 565 would improve on it, after all it was designed in 1994. I was also reluctant to lose the new formats and auto calibration was really handy cos last year I swapped powers and integrated's in and out regularly. But it's no contest the 565 delivers in spades.

Downsides are the worry of it failing, I expect a repair would be costly and the setup is complex and fiddly, you need to really read the manual and understand how it works, also having to power off the mains to save settings and power on holding certain buttons to set things up is a pain. The 568 really appeals as it has PC linkup.

So Matt what's the new system going to be?

Gus

Originally posted by 337GUS
So Matt what's the new system going to be?

Well it's looking like the following on the audio side:

Meridian 565
5 x Bluesky 6.5 THXpm3 actives
SVS PB-2 Plus subwoofer (or twin Servo 15s)
Philips 963a DVD player.

Trouble is, looks like my personal circumstances will be changing bigtime in May, which means I'll have to pack up all of my AV gear for 12 months:rolleyes:

Gus, why not change to the 561? It also has pc configuration capability and is basically the same unit as the 565 but with the 562v's video switching.

Originally posted by chrisgeary
Gus, why not change to the 561? It also has pc configuration capability and is basically the same unit as the 565 but with the 562v's video switching.

The 561 only does 5.1 and I'm setup for 7.1 at the moment. I don't need any video switching as I go from DVD to PJ direct. Nothing else is connected.

I am seriously considering the 568.2 as the next step. Although I may try a Lex DC2 or MC1, then sell both and get a 568.

I don't use the 565 for music as I have a seperate preamp for hifi.

Originally posted by Smurfin
Well it's looking like the following on the audio side:

Meridian 565
5 x Bluesky 6.5 THXpm3 actives
SVS PB-2 Plus subwoofer (or twin Servo 15s)
Philips 963a DVD player.

Trouble is, looks like my personal circumstances will be changing bigtime in May, which means I'll have to pack up all of my AV gear for 12 months:rolleyes:

That should kick some butt when you have it cranked up :) At least you'll get a couple of months with it.

Active seems to be in vogue now, not heard Bluesky at all. Have looked at the Genelec stuff but I'm loath to get rid of all the MF amps as I've not had them a year yet. Mind you some people change their systems more often than I change socks :laugh: :laugh:

The sub is something I should change, the REL was really bought to go with a pair of ProAc standmounts for music replay, I've just never got round to changing it. Heard the MJ Ref 1 two or three times but it hasn't really impressed, seems to get rave reviews so maybe the dems/setup didn't do it justice.

Seen a few mods for the 963 mentioned which apparantly really improve it's performance, sounds like a nice machine, happy with my DV88P for now.

Gus

Now if anyone wanted the 7.1 capabilities of a 565, i could do a swap for a 561 ;)

ad

Originally posted by 337GUS
V6.2a

Fitting guide and list of fixes V6:

http://www.meridian.co.uk/apps/565_v6_500.pdf

Gus

On the display on my 565 it says v6 Z3 - should it not read 6.2? Am I behind on the updates?:confused:

Finally got it set up yesterday, initial impressions are that this unit is superb. About to give something a proper spin, but so far a resounding thumbs up for Meridian:smashin:

I think v6.0 was the last mainstream release, it's what I have.

6.2 and 6.2a are aftermarket I think, ask at hitchhikers for more info.

Good ain't it?

Let us know if you think it is better than Lex.

Gus

Originally posted by Smurfin
On the display on my 565 it says v6 Z3 - should it not read 6.2? Am I behind on the updates?:confused:

Finally got it set up yesterday, initial impressions are that this unit is superb. About to give something a proper spin, but so far a resounding thumbs up for Meridian:smashin:

Welcome to the Meridian owners club Smurf:)

Adz

I went the Meridian route and it will take somthing extraordinary to get me away from them now.

They are awesome! :smashin:

Another Meridian luv in! Great stuff! Who needs all those silly new formats when 5.1 and 7.1 sound this good :smashin:

hmmm, things aren't quite right atm....

When both subs and all 5 actives are switched on along with the 565, there is a horrible "feedback" type sound if the DVD player is switched off. Once the DVD player switches on the sound disappears but it's horrible:( Anyone come across this?

This problem is ONLY when DVD is selected on the Meridian, if it's CD (which is set for analogue rather than digital) then there's no issue. Before anyone says it, it's not the coax that's the problem (Mark Grant cable), as it's worked fine on other equipment.

The other thing is audio delay...anyone else noticed this problem? I get some horrible stutter sometimes when movies start or when I change the soundtrack, to the point where I have to mute the sound before I change anything or when a movie starts.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom