Help needed making a PPC mac use the Internet!

ulrichburke

Novice Member
Dear Anyone.

For starters - be nice to the (literally) mentally handicapped guy trying to wrap his brain around a Mac. Posted this on MacRumors and got laughed at like drains by all concerned so I came here hoping people would be friendlier...

OK. I've become the proud owner of a PPC Mac, which I bought really to use Logic on and because it was all I could afford (they only wanted £50 for it.) But this thing, which I'm trying to use right now, absolutely HATES the internet. Even with TenFourFox it takes between 5-8 minutes to open a single E_mail. I'm having to type one or two words here and sit praying the spinning beachball doesn't crash the system before typing the next couple of words. Forget watching YouTube videos to learn anything from, it's not going to happen. Sometimes you get the sound but the pictures never move.

Now brand new, this thing would've been £2,000-ish. I can't believe that something that cost that much could work so spectacularly badly when the Windows XP computer I had and sold to get the money for this thing, and was about the same age as this thing, didn't mind the Internet at all. It even played Eve Online happily.

So I know I took a gamble selling it to get this but I wanted Logic and this has got Logic on it. Logic works fine. But you really need to be able to use the Internet as well, to upload what you write if nothing else. And uploading with this just aint gonna happen no way no how no Siree. I've tried. I've waited for hours and it can't successfully upload a 3 minute file in 4 hours!! (In the end, after waiting all that time and the beachball still spinning sadly, I just gave up and reset the computer.)

I don't know much about Macs. The MacRumour lot knew that and had a whale of a time with me, asking me if I'd bought it from a Nigerian Prince or something. I've got TenFourFox but it STILL hates the Internet! So here's the question.

Have I just lucked out and bought a dud (it works fine with Logic, it's just the Internet it hates!) Are Apples so badly made that an Apple as old as my PC was just flat can't handle the Net even though my PC could? (remember this thing would've been 2 grand new!) Or is there another reason I don't know about? (Which is where you lot come in!)

I don't have Mac Keeper on it, I know that's supposed to be bad. When I try to go online there's nothing running in the background, not even Logic. There's nothing wrong with the router, it worked fine with the PC (If Macs need different router settings to PCs, please tell me!)

Be gentle with the answers. I've got Asperger's. I really do try to understand stuff. I do get it wrong sometimes. I don't mean to when I do. And I'm not trying to troll anyone with this post! (ALL the MacRumor crowd thought I was trying to troll them. So I did with some of the posts, they flamin' asked for it. But the original question - same as here - was not a troll.)

Yours hopefully

Chris.

MacrosTheBlack

Hi Chris,

Obviously the PPC Macs are quite old now and compatibility for internet browsers etc could be a problem. But lets try to help.

So firstly can you answer the following questions please?
  • What year and model of Mac have you got? Example: Power Mac G4 (2002), model: m8570 emc: 1914 Should hopefully have details written on it somewhere and possible get the info by clicking on the Apple logo and choosing About this Mac.
  • What version of operating system does it have? Example: OS X 10.5 Leopard. About this Mac should tell you.
  • Now much ram does it have? Again About this Mac
Will do my best to help.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Now brand new, this thing would've been £2,000-ish. I can't believe that something that cost that much could work so spectacularly badly when the Windows XP computer I had and sold to get the money for this thing, and was about the same age as this thing, didn't mind the Internet at all. It even played Eve Online happily.
Abandoned architectures like PowerPC will tend to get slower over time relative to contemporary computers that use older versions of current designs as new and updated stuff isn't designed to take into account their weaknesses.

But there is likely something going on here beyond just age and design. Viewing e-mails and writing text in a new e-mail don't involve the internet use and assuming they're text e-mails they shouldn't be any more demanding then when it was new.

The symptoms sound like some sort of component that some programs use but others don't is causing issues when it's in use. It might be networking related as you suspect but I don't know enough about PowerPC era mac architecture to guess.

Agreed with the other posters, there is nothing inherently wrong with such a machine. I still run two PPC Macs as well. Yes, there is the initial load time of applications when using a hard drive opposed to SSDs on the modern machines, but no reason at all why the access to the Internet should be any slower.

I don't even use different browsers, Safari is fine.

Answering the basic questions would help, as would describing the connection to the Internet and what sites are particularly slow

Not trying to be patronising but if your laptop battery is gone and you’re purely running on mains, you will probably need to set the date/time from settings eveytime you switch on, as the internet needs that to be correct, once that’s Ten four fox should run. Failing that try mac forum PPC section, PowerPC Macs they should be a lot more helpful than general mac forum.