1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed making a descision re: RGB2VGA adapter

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by snakeeater, May 27, 2004.

1. snakeeater

snakeeater
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay Im on the brink of buying a JS RGB2VGA convertor but have some brief questions. I know that the picture for Sky will be considerably improved but will it make much difference for the following:

1) X-Box
    2) DVD Player

My X-Box and DVD player are pretty nice via RGB SCART as it is but will I see further improvement using the VGA convertor?

The reason I ask is that £120 is a lot of money (when you consider that you will also have to purchase a good VGA cable too which are priced in the region of £30-£40) just to make the Sky picture better, however if there is noticable improvement with the others then it will be worth my money.

Thanks in advance!

2. Wazy

Wazy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £120 isn't a lot when you consider that you don't have to buy a scart terminal board for your Panny 6 (I assume this is what u are getting/got) These scart boards are £130 anyway!

This is an alternative that gives a sharper pic :)

Go for it :D

3. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
  4. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    If you read my comments on that thread you will notice that I talk about both converters i.e. the RGB2VGA *AND* RGB2YUV...maybe you should actually read the threads rather than assuming people don't know what they are talking about :rolleyes: :suicide:

I think my comments on that thread and the outcome may help snakeeater...

JJ

P.S. I own both, and have used both converters with and without my scaler, so hopefully I CAN tell the difference ;)

5. snakeeater

snakeeater
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My question is still not really answered though. My Panny 6 came with a scart board and I want to know if the JS converter will be worth the extra cost as far as the xbox and dvd player goes.

I already know that it improves the SKY picture but this alone isnt worth £120 for the convertor and £40 for the vga cable.

6. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Searched long and hard then??? ;)

The converter won't just improve Sky, it improves any input which uses RGB scart - whether this is improvement is worth the money to your eyes is hard to say??

The RGB2VGA converter gives a slightly sharper picture than the scart, some think it is worth the extra, some not...quite a few people say that the scart input on the Panny is soft, hence why they go for the converter approach, it also saves them buying the scart input (for the PWD version) as the VGA input is there by default. The other thing to realise it that the RGB2VGA converter will remove the ability to alter colour in the picture menu (which bugs some people) and it will also remove the auto aspect switching functionality, so you will need to manually change aspect (which again, bugs a few people)

Why not try to get one on the classifieds and then if you are not happy with the result then sell it on again...they are pretty easy to buy and sell...

Overall, if you are looking for the absolute best out of the screen then the converter is definitely worth a go (if you can live with the limitations). Even if you buy it new and hate it, you will likely only lose £20 or so by putting in the classifieds....

I used an RGB2VGA for quite a while before I got my scaler and it gave a really nice sharp picture for NTL (Sky) and Xbox.

The other option is to change how you connect your sources to the screen. You could connect the DVD player via component if you DVD player has component outputs. You can either do this by buying a component terminal board for the Panny or if you buy a special component=>VGA cable you can input compnent via the Pannt VGA port.

You can also connect the Xbox via component if you buy a high def AV kit. Again, you can either do this by buying a component terminal board for the Panny or if you buy a special component=>VGA cable you can input compnent via the Pannt VGA port.

If you are still confused, then maybe spend some time searching, as the forum is full of load of "how to I connect my DVD, Sky, Xbox, etc to my Panny plasma" type questions...it just takes a little reading ;)

Hope this helps...

JJ

7. snakeeater

snakeeater
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0