Help needed; LG 65NANO866NA - controlling Surround sound volume

Chubster1979

Novice Member
Hi therei recently purchased the following TV -

LG 65NANO866NA​

And have it connected to a Sony DAV-DZ560 surround sound / dvd player.

I want to set it up so that the a) the surround sound will turn on when I turn the TV on and b) I can control the surround sound volume with the Magic Remote

So far, I've managed to get the sound working (via an optical cable) and the surround turns off when I turn the telly off. However, it doesnt turn on and the volume only works via the IR (i.e. I have to point the remote at it).

What's odd is that I am able to control the volume directly through bthe TV when using a Google Chromecast with Good TV dongle.

I've tried everything...and have now run out of ideas. It's a small thing, but still very frustrating!

Any help would be really appreciated!

next010

Distinguished Member
Follow this to set up universal remote control.

Set the device type as Sony and see if the magic remote can gain getter control over it.

HDMI-CEC is what allows control for power on/off and volume, this needs to be enabled on the device and simplink must be enabled on the TV, even then however the devices may not be 100% compatible with each other.

A fall back option is get a cheap IR multi function remote which can have the IR commands the Magic Remote lacks.

Chubster1979

Novice Member
@next010 Thanks for the tips. I've tried this, but no luck.

What's really odd is that everything is working fine with the Chromecast - i.e. if I press the power on button on the Chromecast, the TV and the surround sound turn on, and I can then control the volume on the latter with the Chromecast remote (over HDMI-CEC).

The Magic remote only works with IR.

Bizarre.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs of 2021, plus our favourite & memorable reviews of the year
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom