• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help needed LG 50ps6000

Rich29

Standard Member
Hello. Looking for some advice on buying a new TV.
I like the look of the LG 50ps6000 but just can not make up my mind. The price seems fair and i like the frame less design. But i can not find many reviews on the set. Seen some comments about IR but not sure what that is. But seems to be linked to gaming may be a problem as i have a PS3. Any info on the TV would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Rich.

Last edited:

Monarch

Distinguished Member
Hi, welcome to the forums, there are very few reviews of this set but you should be able to take the reviews of the PS8000 (which is more widely reviewed) as appropriate for this set as well, apart from the THX preset and a few other features. There's a review of the PS8000 here - LG 50PS8000 THX Certified 50inch Plasma Review at AVForums.com as I say, you should be able to take the comments about the picture of the calibrated picture as completely relevant to the PS6000. I would say that it is one of the best sets for the money from reading.

Image retention is a issue which has largely been in the plasma market, it is possible on LCD TVs but is very rare. The overall issue of permanent burn in is largely over, there are very few real cases of this problem and this is basically where an image which has remained on screen for an extended period of time effectively 'sticks' to the screen so it is always there as a ghost image, image retention is a temporary form of this and does still exist, the Panasonics are very resistant, but the LGs and Samsuungs are more prone, you shouldn't be put off though. I have an LG plasma (form the 2008 range) and I use it largely for gaming, I have had several gaming sessions which have lasted 2 or 3 hours, even more, and as of yet I don't have any permanent damage. It's worst in the early hours of the sets life so you need to be more careful then but I would only say that it was an issue if you spent more than a few hours gaming at a time regularly (without breaks). There are several methods which can prevent it becomming bad, some of which are very easy to follow, such as taking breaks after an hour or two when gaming and switch to regular freeview for 10-20 minutes, any image retention should wash out in this time.

Hope that helped, if you have any further questions then do ask :thumbsup:

sarkster

Standard Member
Rich,

I took the plunge last night on a 50PS6000 and a nice alphason apx50/4 stand to bolt it to.

I do a lot of gaming including far too many hours on Rockband so I will let you know what the retention is on my set after ive had some time with it and it has been run in.

I think the only thing to budget for with this model from what I can see is proper ISF calibration if you really want to do the panel justice.
:thumbsup:

Rich29

Standard Member
Thanks for the replys. The info you provided is very interesting. I found play.com sell it for a very good price. Rich

.stu

There's a review of the PS8000 here - LG 50PS8000 THX Certified 50inch Plasma Review at AVForums.com as I say, you should be able to take the comments about the picture of the calibrated picture as completely relevant to the PS6000.

Actually I think the 'out of the box' comments from that review are more relevent and the 'calibrated' comments do not apply to the 3000/6000 and here is why:

I've been looking at getting an LG plasma myself, and was thinking of going for the 50ps3000 myself, as I prefer cheap over style ;) However, I do want to be able to set it up properly to show the best picture and was a bit concerned that the 3000 didn't have all the calibration controls of the 8000, especially after I managed to download both the manuals earlier today and noticed a fair view omissions from the 3000/6000 manual.

So on my way home I popped into Currys and got the lad on the tv section to show me the picture menus and can confirm that the 'expert' modes is the 3000 do not have the isf logo, nor do they have the same range controls to adjust the picture. Where the 8000 can do 20 point greyscale calibration, the 3000 can do 2 points maximum, and maybe not even that :(

Therefore, you should be looking at the 7000 model as a minimum.

Rich29

Standard Member
Well took the plunge and ordered my new TV. Went for the LG 50ps7000 instead of the 6000. As it was only £30 more. Ordered it from Dixons.com with the discount code it came to £910 with free delivery. Should receive it on Saturday. Thanks again for all your help. I will soon be back asking setup advice. ;)

WazKayani

Standard Member
Rich

I have another thread on the go but basically, I have just come back from Costco where they had the PS6000 for £800+Vat so £920 in total. It looked quite good when I was there.

Its the IR that worries me.....I think to be honest I'm worrying about nothing but horror stories of images burnt in permanetly send shivers down my spine. I'm sure its a problem of the past but the screen does look nice esp with the single glass front.

.stu

Well took the plunge and ordered my new TV. Went for the LG 50ps7000 instead of the 6000. As it was only £30 more. Ordered it from Dixons.com with the discount code it came to £910 with free delivery. Should receive it on Saturday. Thanks again for all your help. I will soon be back asking setup advice. ;)

I ordered one today too - went for Dixons as well as they had the cheapest price. However, I intend to add a 5 year warranty from a third party. Also, signed up to a cashback site so will get another 3% off with a bit of luck!

The earliest delivery I could get was Sunday but that's ok - gives me a chance to get the room ready for the new set ;)

Rich29

Standard Member
Never really bothered with warranties always thought of them as a way for sales men to boost their bonuses. However with a purchase of this amount it might be worth a second thought. Anyone know approximately how much they cost? And Is it possible to purchase one after the manufacturers warranty is over?

J

Jim_lg

Hi Guy's, i have joined also searching for help with my lg 50ps6000, i'm new to HD and blu ray so treated myself :), i also bought a sony bdp 350 blu ray player, i was expecting a little bit more from my new toy's but i can't seem to get rid of my quite grainy picture on blu ray and sky SD so it is the tv thats grainy, i also bought a calibration blu ray setup disc but still can't get a smooth picture from it, am i expecting too much from it? any ideas??, Cheers, Jim.

anauJ

Standard Member
Hi guys, also bought the fantastic 50ps600 from Currys (£850-25 after a little pushing) I knew it was a good tv when it fitted in my car EXACTLY, 1cm more and it wouldnt have gone in :smashin:

Freeview is great, dont think I will go for Freesat HD and save myself a little..

Now I bought this tv thinking I will also buy a PS3 to watch all my DIVX collection I have on my 1TB hard drive, imagine my surprise when I realised it had a USB and it could read not only my films(all formats so far) but my pictures and music too! So saved myself 200£ on the freesat and £300 on the PS3(it would have used it for games obviously and the Blue Ray)

So instead thinking of getting a set of 5.1 speakers and a Blueray player, any recomendations welcome, would like to keep it in the LG family, o and bought a £20 wall mount of ebay just now, will see if the wall can hold it!

All in all, awesome tv, 100% satisfied

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom