Help needed in setting up Yam`DSP-AX763

jules335500

Standard Member
Reaction score
Please bare with me as new to this technical stuff. I have just set up my new surround sound system but am not sure how exactly to wire up the TV,DVD and PS3 etc even after reading the manual
I have connected speakers and this is fine but I have connected the TV, DVD ,PS3 as below:

AMP to DVD by HDMI (DVD ON AMP IN 1)
AMP to PS3 by HDMI (DTV/COL ON AMP IN 2)

AMP out by HDMI TO TV

All work fine its just I don't want the amp on when just watching dvd's all the time or when recording programs through the DVD/HDD it appears that the amp has to be on all the time. Also the TV does not have any sound through the amp.
There must be a different way to wire it up.

Help required please

Last edited:
HDMI is a one way street to the TV so you need to hook up a sound output on the TV to an input on the amp to hear sound from the TV through your new receiver/speakers.

To activate the sound output on the TV it will probably be necessary to turn the TV's internal speakers OFF in the TV setup menu. I never use my TV's speakers but I guess if you want to watch a DVD and listen using the Tv's speakers you would have to turn the speakers back on again.

If the aerial is connected through the HDD/DVD and then to the TV it should be possible to record programs with the Receiver off.

Last edited:
I don’t want the amp on when just watching dvd’s all the time

Then you will need to run audio/video direct from the DVD to the TV (e.g. HDMI) to bypass the amp

when recording programs through the DVD/HDD it appears that the amp has to be on all the time.

I can't think of any reason it would need to be on, except maybe to start the recording using on screen graphics.

Also the TV does not have any sound through the amp.

The DSP-AX763 doesn't output audio over HDMI by default. There is an option to do so but this diabales the amps connection to the speakers, and the will still have to be on.

If you want the option to use TV speakers then connect your sources firect to the TV then run audio back out to them amp over optical if your TV supports this (but you won't get HD audio from the PS3 this way). I think this is what William YZF-R1 was suggesting.

Chris

If you set the "HDMI set" under the option menu to "other" the 763 will pass through audio over HDMI to the tv and output audio though the speakers connected to the amp at the same time. This is how I have mine set up, if I want to hear the PS3 through the tv speakers, I have to turn on the amp and mute it, and if I want the sound though the 5.1 speakers, I just mute the tv and un-mute the amp.

Of course you'll need to have the amp on to use the PS3 as HDMI won't pass through video when the amp is off. :thumbsup:

This way you'll get all the lovely HD sounds from the PS3 :smashin:

I stand corrected, audio is passed through when set to "other". As I was sure I'd tried this, I went back and sure enough audio is not passed when still in the setup screen, but only after you exit (which I hadn't tried).

Thanks for this, it gives me the option to leave my headphones permenantly connected to the TV again.

Hmmm, wonder how many posts I need to go back and correct?

Cheers

Chris

No probs, I checked it out before buying as my housemate sometimes uses my PS3 to watch dvd's or play guitar hero, and he's not bothered about using surround sound, he just has to switch on the amp to use the TV speakers.

Slight problem though, I noticed today my xbox360 had decided that wanted to transmit 2 channel in instead of 5.1 (indicated on the DSP's led and also confirmed using the OSD). After checking the 360 was still set to DD (which it was), I checked the cables (OK) so went in search of another 5.1 source. The only one available was BBC HD, which isn't always 5.1 so I waited for the splash screen between programs which I seem to remember is 5.1, but this too seemed to be stereo.

I therefore turned my attention to the amp, tracking back through every menu I'd been in recently (unfortunately that was all of them), until at last I came to HDMI set where I had set s.audio to 'other'. I changed it back and 5.1 was restored.

I'm guessing that by enabling audio throughput that the 360 (and virgin) are now 'talking' to the TV, which is refusing the 5.1 signal and requesting stereo instead?

Chris

Hmm... I've heard about that problem witht the PS3, the sound output settings had to be changed when switching between tv and amp speakers, presumably because the tv speakers couldn't accept the full range of 5.1/7.1/DD/DTS options.

Luckily my TV (LG 32LX2R) seems to have built in audio decoders, so it can accept 5.1 sound, maybe this is why it doesn't force the amp to transmit stereo when 'other' is chosen :confused:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom