1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed in finding right sound card please (before my brain bursts!)

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by MarkL, Feb 8, 2003.

1. MarkL

MarkL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys - hope you can help me with this one :)

I need a sound card to feed my 7.1 receiver with DD and DTS if possible.(it will take optical and co-ax digital connections) Also one which I can use with sky digital as well.(if I have managed to record it onto my hard drive!)

Do I just need a card with S/PDIF output or does it have to be 7.1 (or 6.1) specified?

I was thinking of a budget of around £150 but could push the boat out if there is something that is the dogs' nuts for a bit more.

many thanks

Mark

2. nutcase_1uk

nutcase_1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Not sure about the Sky side of things, but any card with an SP/DIF output should be able to carry 7.1 audio from DVD's. The problem to look out for on cheaper cards is jitter introduced onto the SP/DIF line, and that's not something I want to get into as it always causes a bits is bits type of arguement!

I'm currently using the SP/DIF out of a creative SB live card with a hoontech bracket on my main PC, and the analogue outputs of an M-Audio Delta 410 for my HCPC. Next week I'm picking up a M-Adui Revolution to have aplay with, that's the new consumer level ($99) soundcard from M-Audio. That has SP/DIF out too.

3. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I've just upgraded from an M-Audio Audiophile card to an RME Digi 96/8 PAD and the difference was was significant, well worth the £260 imho. The next step up from the RME is the Lynx 2 at approx £900.

It's a tough call but my HCPC/Cd Server souded better than my £1,500 CD transport.

Steve

4. MarkL

MarkL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated.
    Steve: are you doing anything with the M-Audio card? I'd be happy to make you an offer if your interested.

Mark

5. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Sorry Mark it's destined for another HCPC.

Steve