Help needed in choosing which one

Telemaid

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am cross eyed through looking at so many posts and getting more confused by the minute. I am looking for an HD DVD player that will play back +RW and + R discs. I looked at the toshiba E1 but that only seems to play -RW and -R. I have since found the Samsung BD-P1000 which I believe will play back both of these formats. Is that correct? and will it also upscale standard DVD's which I have now. My recorder is for +R so I have recorded all home movies onto this format. I dont know the difference between Blu ray and HD but I have just bought a samsung 52" HD TV so I need to get a new DVD to get the best out of it. Suggestions :lease:

I playback +R, +R DL, and +R/W on both my HD DVD players (A1 equivalent and E1 equivalent.) Although neither specifies +R or +R/W in the specs, they handle it just fine :)! However, for +R DL, the results seem to be media dependent (likely a function of optimal burner compatibility), though I find Verbatim to be reliable!

Hi I contacted Toshiba today to see if the Toshiba E1 HD DVD player would play +R and +RW and they have replied and said it will only play -R and -RW.....I am now looking at the Samsung BD-P1000 Blu ray and this plays all formats. I have seen this at £269. What do you think of this one and the price?: Your advice is much appreciated. :)

Hi I contacted Toshiba today to see if the Toshiba E1 HD DVD player would play +R and +RW and they have replied and said it will only play -R and -RW.....I am now looking at the Samsung BD-P1000 Blu ray and this plays all formats. I have seen this at £269. What do you think of this one and the price?: Your advice is much appreciated. :)

Not true, mine plays them all as well...:smashin:

It's a shame that Toshiba don't appear to know what their players are capable of, potentially losing a sale to their rival format. D'oh! :(

Steve

Hi, do you mean that you have a toshiba E1 and it DOES play +R format? The tosh is quite a bit cheaper than the Sammy BDP1000. So if it does the trick that will be fine for me.

Toshiba will specify what they guarantee as a reliable specification, however every machine (Toshiba and all the others) are normally capable of more and this is where choosing the right make of disc is very important. Within every type of disc say a DVD +R, there is quite a range of reflectances depending on the make and manufacture adn this is why there is variations in the spec and what plays.

Perhaps I am worrying too much but I am a bit green when it comes to all these new tech machines. The reason I'm banging on about the +R is that I have tranferred all my home movies of my kids and now the grandkids from vhs to +RW discs and obviously I want to be able to play them in whichever DVD player I buy. So if you can tell me that the Toshiba E1 can play them then this is the one I shall buy.

It all depends what discs you have used. Some will be fine (verbatim as a reputation here), others won't work. You need to find someone who has tried your discs in their E1.

Hi, The discs I have used are Maxell DVD+RW. Hope these are ok. They wouldn't play on one of the players I have but they will play on my karaoke machine which is an RSQ NEO +G and seems to play anything you chuck at it.....Appreciate your help.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom