Help Needed in Choosing a DVD Player!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Suave, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Suave

Suave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +714
    :lease:

Hello Everyone!

I am really confused! I have a budget of £150 to £200 (max) on a DVD Player.

I want one that will decode all the latest surround sound formats. Most only say Dolby Pro Logic II or Dobly Digital and/or DTS but does this mean they will decode all the variants as well? (ie:Dolby Digital EX, THX Surround EX, DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, DTS-ES Matrix 6.1, DTS Neo: 6, DTS 96/24, Dolby Pro Logic IIx ?) If not then what should I do?

I would also like one with the most features & best perfomance that I can get & with an optical connection. With so many around, I am lost and Hifi mags only review a few models but the same ones in every mag! I have a JVC TV and was going to get a JVC model as I could contraol both from one RC but something about them puts me off! I was also looking at the JVC VCR?DVD Combo HRX-V32 as it is the latest and looks very nice. I have heard that Pioneer DVD players are very good? I may even be persuaded to buy a DVD Recorder if it has all the features I want.

Any help would be most welcome!
    Suave!

2. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,493
    It looks like you are getting confused between a DVD player and an Amp. A DVD player you will probably get with a Dolby Digital and DTS decoder but if you want the other formats you will need an amplifier.

An amp of decent enough quality will offer the sound formats you mentioned above. Although I think you will need to spend a bit more than £200 to get them all!

Unless you are talking about the all-in-one systems, where the DVD player is part of the amp? That might be your best bet

Greg

edit: You seem to have already posted asking about an amp if the amp forum???

3. Suave

Suave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +714
    Hi GregHook!

Thanks for all your help! I thought that every item like dvd player, amp etc had to all have the surround sound formats in order to work but you have set me right! THANK YOU!! Now, what is a good dvd player to get?!!!

4. mevetts

mevetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sauve,

This is not the case. Both amps and dvd players can have decoders built into them. If you have decoders built into the player, but your amp does not you tell the player to do the decoding and send the signal to the amp or directly to the speakers (depending on your set-up).

Alternatively, and usually more commonly, the amp is able to perform 'better' audio decoding as well as decode more formats. So you send the encoded signal to the amp from the player and the amp does all the work!

You do not need to have both pieces of equipment with the same decoding abilities. That would be a nightmare! :laugh:

Explained in a novice way, but hope it helps?

Mark.

5. mevetts

mevetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oh yeah.....I have a Pannie S75! Paid £110 9 months ago for it. Is my first player and am very happy with it.