help needed in a flash !

beachy

Prominent Member
Reaction score
i'm looking for a budget flashgun for my nikon D50, as i may need one for the weekend, i've come across these two "sigma ef500 dg st" for £89 and the "sigma ef500 dg super" for £131 both from tecno ideally i'd like to get a nikon sb 600 or 800, but my budget won't stretch to that for now, so has anyone used the sigma flashguns, and will they be a decent substitute for the nikons, your thoughts and comments as always much appreciated, thanks in advance :smashin:

edit, also anyone know if jessops are still pricematching, as i may use this avenue to get one of these flashguns.

I have and rate highly the Sigma EF500DG super for the Canon mount.

I cannot comment on its Nikon performance but I know a Pal who got one for his Minolta Dynax 7 and found it unsatisfactory,( He didn't say exactly why, maybe he got a "lemon" :D ). He later got a Metz

If you get limited responses you could get it from a place which accepts returns and try it for yourself

I have never used either of the sigma flashs myself but have heard nothing but good reviews for either of them.

As for Jessops, they are still price matching both the high street and online. They are even giving you the extra 10% of the difference too, but you have to ask for it ;) . You should have no problems matching Tecno either as its another one part of the Jessops Group.

I have the DG - it's fine for basic use although for more advanced stuff you may find yourself wanting. See my thread on the 110% offer - I have scanned an advert for you to take in.

Jessops recently did me a pricematch on a SB600 from Bristol Cameras. With the 110% thingy I ended up getting it for £155 so its not that much of a stretch from the more expensive Sigma you suggested.

The link is to a new Nikon flashgun, not the Sigma. Might better suit you rather than shelling out a fortune for features you don't need.

The link is to a new Nikon flashgun, not the Sigma. Might better suit you rather than shelling out a fortune for features you don't need.

thanks baron i did realize that, but i took a look and even that one is coming in at a price around £120-£140, onestopdigital being the cheapest, so i think it will better to hang on another couple of weeks and get the better sb800, as i'm hoping to upgrade my camera next year anyway, so all in all the sb800 will suit me better, unless of course i hear anything positive about the sigma in the meantime :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom