Question Help Needed! How can I make my Rear Surrounds Wireless?!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by absolutely80s, Jul 14, 2018.

1. absolutely80s

absolutely80s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    Hello everyone.....been a while since I last posted, but here I am, in need of advice, as I think I've reached a critical point in the relationship with my home cinema set up.

I've just moved home, and the room into which my home cinema will live is a nightmare for cabling the rear surround speakers, so I need to think about how I can go wireless. Is there a way I can get to keep my existing Denon 2300 AVR, and Tannoy rear surrounds by somehow making the surround speakers wireless? I've seen this on Amazon, which seems to claim to be able to do the job:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-A...sr=8-5&keywords=wireless+surround+speaker+kit

Having spoken with both Peter Tyson and Home AV Direct, they are both keen to sell me either a brand new receiver with matching speakers (eg, Yamaha 585 with a pair of Music Cast speakers), or a Denon Heos Amp with Link. Both options will cost in excess of £800, but will that wireless kit also do the trick for a hell of a lot less?

Any suggestions more than welcome :)

2. Ideal AV

Ideal AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,447
  3. absolutely80s

absolutely80s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
  4. Shimrod

Shimrod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Aren't they transmit/receive only, so will still need replacement powered speakers or an additional amplifier on top of the £235 cost? The devices in the Amazon link include amplifers.

What have you considered for cabling? My left/right surrounds have cabling behind the skirting board, but my rear surrounds (a later addition) have cable running on the ceiling through some white conduit. It's right next to the coving and you don't even notice it.

It might be worth posting what the challenge with cabling is, someone might have a cunning plan to resolve the issue for a much lower cost.

5. absolutely80s

absolutely80s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    I’ve not yet properly researched the product in the amazon link, but judging by the summary detail, this would seem to be the most cost effective solution.

The challenge I have, firstly, is that I’ve moved into a rented property. Therefore I can’t do anything to the skirting, so any cabling has to be tacked to the lip. However, that’s not the where the real problem lies. The room is open plan with the kitchen to the right side from the sofa looking at the wall where the tv will be sited. Also immediately to the right of the tv position is a pair of French doors. Also, to the left of the sofa is another doorway. This is just a cabling hurdle, the real problem lies to the right with the open plan kitchen to the right of the sofa.

All this is why I have to go wireless purely for the rear surrounds. I’m beginning to think that the Heos amp and link might be the way to go. At least then I don’t have to give up my 2300 nor the Tannoy surrounds. This is still expensive, but shouldn’t compromise sound quality....? Any other ideas peeps??

Thanks so far :)