1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed getting ffsdhow just to run

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by KraGorn, Sep 21, 2004.

1. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'm trying to get ffdshow up and running but I can't get it to even run, let alone produce decent results and before diving off into the ffdshow thread over on AVS, which is somewhat daunting to a complete n00b on the subject, I thought I'd ask here first to see if there's anything silly I've not done.

I've installed the 20040820 version and trying with ZoomPlayer and Theatertek. I've not selected any filters and disabled all codecs bar 'raw', which is set to 'all supported'.

When I run either DVD player, the moment the FF icon appears in the system track the player crashes .. clearly it's FFDShow as disabling it in ZP's DVD setup stops the crash.

I'm using the Sonic codecs as installed with TT and have been following a simple 'how to' on HTPCNEWS, the only problem I have is that the article says I should configure the Sonic codecs to disable hardware support, but I don't have the Control Panel applet the article says I should. If I click the 'C' button in ZP's DVD setup page there's no configurable parameters for the video decoder.

Apart from that it I can't see what I've done wrong, but clearly FFD has something basically wrong with it.

Can anyone suggest what may cause this basic operation to crash?

2. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    There are about a million and one things which cause FFDSHOW not to work (I'm sure I used to have more hair than this...), but here's a couple of suggestions for you to have a look at:

1) if you're using PAL dvds then the stock state of ffdshow/sonic won't like it, you'll need to set a registry key called hardcodeforPAL to "1" instead of "0". This is in the sonic section of the registry, I'm at work atm so can't remember the exact location, if you haven't found it by about 6.30 I'll post it when I get home.

2) Have you set the allowallrenderers key to "1" in the registry yet? If not then have a look for that too.

3) The sonic decoders should have a control panel applet but maybe thats just when they're installed as a standalone rather than with the TT install. Have you tried looking in the TT options for the hardware encode setting, that might fix it.

4) can't remember the full instructions from the htpcnews article so this may already be covered but have you registered the filters in ZP?

Hope something there is helpful (and not stuff you've already done!).

Owain

3. Nick Cartwright

Nick Cartwright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like the pal problem to me, try with an NTSC disk if you don't want to edit you registry until you are sure this is the problem.

Also look on the Theatertek web site forum, in hints and tips there is a lot of advice regarding FFDSHOW and it is far less daunting than the AVS thread.

4. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    The crashing is due to the incorrect PAL entry in the registry.

Go the support forums on the theatertek website - there's a sticky there on setting up ffdshow to work with TT, including the registry entry needed to get PAL to work. It's dead easy.

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Yes, I was trying a PAL DVD, not having been aware of 'issues' that FFDSHOW has with PAL .. I do now. :)

I did a test install of a *cough* evaluation *cough* copy of TheaterTek which provides manual activation of Sonic's drivers and saw the Control Panel applet mention in HTPCNEWS' article, so Owain you must be right that when they're bundled with TT you don't get to access that. I assume the registry keys are present though, I'll have to check that when I get home.

I'll try an NTSC DVD when I get home and if that seems to work I'll try locating that HardcodeForPal setting Owain .. I take it that means I'll have to change that back and forth as I switch DVDs?

I'm sure you're right as to the cause, after posting my qeustion I discovered that FFD is working fine when playing .MPGs, .AVIs etc. so it's clearly nothing to do with the installation per se.

I have to admit I didn't go to TT's site since the problem was also occuring with ZP and that's easier to fiddle with than TT.

Thanks chaps. :smashin:

6. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Yeah, that's right but if you like I can post a couple of batch files which you can run to do the changeover for you, one called PAL.bat and one (surprisingly) NTSC.bat. You can use a bit of software called DVD autorefresh to run a custom exe/bat on the insertion of a particular region DVD (its meant to be used for powerstrip to change between the different resolutions/timings, but works great for this too). By combining these bat files and this program you can have a completely automatic system :)

Owain

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks for the offer Owen but I'll be able to knock up a .REG when I've seen what needs doing. I use AnyDVD and that has the ability to run a script when a DVD is inserted, which seems like the same thing as the DVD Autorefresh you mention.

I guess the problem is that FFD can't 'know' what video standard it's being presented with unless the progam using it tells it and presumably neither TT nor ZP talk to FFD beyond passing it the video stream.

Appreciate the help. :)

8. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    yeah thats what dvdautorefresh will do, if you put a region 1 disc in it'll (for example) run NTSC.bat, when you put a region 2 one in it runs PAL.bat.

HTH
    Owain

9. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Just got home, set that HardcodeForPal in the registry and voila, all working. :clap:

Thanks Owain and the others who replied to my plea for help .. now I've got something to play with this evening. :D