1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed getting 6.1 from my sony dav sr2!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by steel_kelly, Apr 7, 2005.

1. steel_kelly

steel_kelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello to all, i have just bought a sony dav-sr2 5.1 sytem but am already wanting to upgrade it a 6.1 system, the reason being is that i have been reading through the manual over and over trying to find some information about an extra amplifier you can plug into the surround back pre out port "coaxial i think" to enable to choose to use 6.1 mode!
    But no matter how many times i read the manual or look for for info on the net i still dont know how or what to buy to enable this, if anyone is kind enough to share there wisdom on this matter it will be much Obliged. thanxs

2. steel_kelly

steel_kelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    will it be a pre amp that i need or a normal amp?

3. Camperman

Camperman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have A Sony SR1 (same model without the tall speakers), I may be wrong but I thought you just had to purchase a sixth speaker to enjoy 6.1, the unit already has socket for speaker 6. I have not looked up my manual but have just had a look at the review in WHC and it seems to indicate in the review that all is needed is the additional speaker?
    :thumbsup:

4. steel_kelly

steel_kelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    you definatley have to add an amplfier, i checked with some different people in places like the sony shop and a high class hifi shop called seven oaks and i was told off both that i need to add a amp! they all said though that it only needs to be a cheap mono amp with a rca in and a speaker out, but im sure a cheap one will affect the sound quality.

If anyone has a solution as to where i could get a really cheap small amp from please let me know as it would really help!

thanks for reply camperman!

5. Camperman

Camperman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah you are right, I looked up my manual and it shows an amp in line with the speaker. You learn something every day!!
    Let me know what you find out if anything.
    :D

6. steel_kelly

steel_kelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    i have tried a mono and a stereo amplifier and they both kick out the 6th channel but am getting a slight hissing plus i have to turn the amps up to get an even sound with the rest of my speakers, i have checked all the settings on the sr2 to rid the hissing but not sorted it out as of yet.

if i get time i am going to buy a 75ohm digital cable and try that incase it may be that, ive only tried it with a normal rca lead.