HELP needed getting 1920x1080 on Toshiba 42XV555D thru nvidia graphics card!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by echolocation, Jan 29, 2009.

Tags:
  1. echolocation

echolocation
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok so after much deliberation on choosing a 1080p TV i went for the Tosh 42XV555D I wanted 1080p as it was going to be used mainly as a PC monitor (and also xbox 360) and I wanted the high native res 1080 provides.

I have an nvidia 8600 GT (I know there were connectivity probs with the ATIs) and a DVI> HDMI cable.

I've set the screen to Exact scan or native (both seem to do the same), but I seem to be getting underscan. There is a black border and the screen seems very blocky and the colours are washed out.

It looks fairly decent over VGA @ 1360x768 (but not as crisp as my old tosh 32wlt66 did at 1024x768), but thats not why I bought the monitor.

The Nvidia control panel is confusing and when you try fiddling with the settings they either look worse or dont work at all.

Ive dowloaded powerstrip but that is even more confusing. Has anyone else been in the same boat and got a good crystal picture at 1920 x 1080 over HDMI. I know it can be done.

Could it be something to do with the cable????

2. kennyhkw

kennyhkw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Did i not discuss this with u thru email before u got the telly?

I'll drag my bros pc over 2moro and set it up and see what i can find out for u.

3. echolocation

echolocation
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Managed to fix it. Guess what. it wasn't the TV, cable or GFX card it was the drivers. I reverted back to and older driver and the picture came up perfect

4. kennyhkw

kennyhkw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Nice one mate :thumbsup:, can you provide the exact driver u used so if anyone else finds this thread they will know what to get.

Kenny

5. echolocation

echolocation
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a fairly old driver to begin with, I can't remember but I think it was the one I got with my graphx card (8600 GT) as when I tried to update a while ago I had probs.

After searching on the net for ages for 'toshiba' 'black border' 'nvidia' etc I finally came across a few bits where people had said the new drivers, and consequently the new nvidia control panel, removed the underscan/overscan option. So I installed the old driver expacting to have to fanny around for ages but it worked instantly.

I then decided to try the brand new nvidia drivers for my card and they work too so there must of been a hiccup with the one I was using. So my advice if you get over/underscan and have tried all the usual stuff (exact scan/native on the telly; or tinkering with Powerstrip) is update your drivers, and if that doesn't work roll back to an older version.

I used 101.02 which i found on Softpedia

NVIDIA ForceWare 101.02 Driver for Windows XP Free Download - Softpedia

But the new ones should do the trick.

Its crazy how the old one and the new one work but not the slightly old one. I thought it was gonna be a dodgy cable or some obscure timing setting or something.

But the pictures not too bad. Not quite as good as my old Tosh 32WLT66 over VGA at 1024x768 but perfectly acceptable. Theres a little bit of ghosting/artifacting around the text and I need to adjust the gamma/contrast etc. as the colours look a bit strong and/ washed out depending on the hue.

Looks great with the xbox and I overall very pleased