Help Needed - Full House Ceiling Speaker Installation

gmas2001

Novice Member
Reaction score
I really need some help. I'm moving to a new house which is pretty large in comparison to what I'm in at the moment and it's being completely gutted and rewired so I have the opportunity to do a full ceiling speaker installation in the entire house. I've obviously only got 1 chance to do this so I want to do it properly.

Below is a picture of the downstairs, blue dots represent where I currently plan to put speakers, can you please let me know if I'm on the right lines here?

View image: speaker 2

I plan on having a soundbar and sub in the living room (currently looking at sonos). I want decent speakers in the front room (£200-£300 range) and something around £100 for speakers elsewhere. There is wiggle room with the budget, do you think I should invest now in better quality or will the budgets get me a decent set-up?

In terms of amps, I'm currently looking at a full sonos set up, what are your thoughts on this? Also what wiring should I use and should this all lead back to one central point downstairs?

I could really do with some help here, all comments are welcomed!

Ceiling speakers are good for background music but not the best for critical listening so it depends on what you want from your system. Also the bass response of ceiling speaker is often not the best which can also pose problems with music.
With Sonos there is no need to wire to a central location so I would be tempted to do each room as a separate install and then just link the Sonos units together wirelessly.
For the front room I would look at maybe a pair of standmount or floorstanding speakers linked to an amp and then connect a Sonos unit to the amp. This would allow the TV and Sonos to use the same speakers and would give better sound quality for both applications too.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom