1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed - Fuji S7000 & CF Memory

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by mne2, May 14, 2005.

1. mne2

mne2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Can someone give me advice as to what CF cards are compatible with a Fuji S7000 ? Thanks in advance

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    With a very quick Google found the S7000 listed with the following:
    so I think we can safely say that this camera uses xD memory cards :D and NOT CF (Compact Flash).

Mark.

3. mne2

mne2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    It actually has two slots - one for xD and one for CF/Microdrive. I know that some CF cards work but cant seem to find which ones work.

4. mne2

mne2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Should also point out that only up to 512mb xD cards work properly in it hence why i am looking for a CF

5. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    The s7000 takes type 1 AND type 2 cards, and supports microdrive, so basically any CF card you can lay your hands on should be alright! 1Gb sandisk ones going on Ebay for about £40 at the moment. Or you may be able to pick up a 4 or 5 Gb microdrive cheap, and although the camera only supports fat16, you may be able to use full capacity using the format cluster size trick.

6. mne2

mne2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks very much - one more question....whats the format cluster trick ?

7. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Basically, using conventional cluster sizes, fat16 only supports up to 2gb drive sizes ( a la windows 95 ;) ) but if you increase the default cluster size from 32 to 64kb, you can support 4gb :) You can select the cluster size when you format the card in windows using a card reader (certainly in XP, not sure about the others) The problem is you lose the ability to format the card in the camera (will just go back to 2gb) but if you're transferring 2000 photos i'm sure you can spare 2 minutes to delete the files in windows.

Never tried the 5Gb cards, but used the 4gb microdrive in my old Digi SLR and worked a treat. Apparantly on some cameras, it throws off the pictures remaining counter, but i don't know on the S7000. On my SD9 it was fine, 645 pics in one hit!

8. hollie.weimeran

hollie.weimeran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The S7000 "Officially" only supports up to 1GB, however some users have managed to successfully use 2GB CF/microdrives but with varying degrees of success. Some manufacturers mem cards are better than others so try and research this first prior to buying.

Good source of info on this sort of thing is here http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1012 :)

9. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,577
    I had an S7000 for a short while & used standard Sandisk 256Mb cards. The S7000 uses quite aggressive compression & at native 6Mb resolution (I didn't bother with the 12Mb interpolated), images are only around 1.6Mb. So you'll get around 160 images on a 256Mb & 320 on a 512Mb card. I wouldn't bother with higher capacity cards unless you need to shoot a lot of video.

I don't think you'll see any benefit in faster cards either due to the S7000 own limitations. I've never tried any in it though so maybe someone who has can comment further.

10. mne2

mne2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I hadn't realised that so probably a 512Mb xD card will suit my needs. Thanks for that.

11. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,577
    XD cards are still significantly more expensive than CF & are compatible with fewer cameras when you want to upgrade. Also, you may want to consider that multi format USB card readers tend NOT to support XD.

Have a look here for an idea of prices.

12. hollie.weimeran

hollie.weimeran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some decent priced Lexar 40x CF cards here http://www.mymemory.co.uk/memory/Lexar/256MB/40X/High-Speed/CompactFlash :)

Lexar manufacture good quality goods and customer service is excellent. they have just replaced a 2 year old CF card that went faulty on me. I'd lost the receipt but after using their online technical assistance they have replaced it with absolutely no hassle at all :D