Help needed frequency range and speaker settings

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by pandrew, Jan 26, 2003.

1. pandrew

pandrew
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have decided to buy either Mordaunt Short Premiers or Elac Cinema 2's. I have demo'd both and there is not much between them as far as my ears are concerned. My problem is I'm not up to speed with the technical side of Home Cinema and am not sure if I will be losing frequency range if I decided to buy the Mordaunt Shorts over the Elac's. Hopefully there are people on the forum that can help me.

I will be hooking up to a Yamaha 630RDS.

LFE frequency signals via the subwoofer jack on the amp are 90hz and below.

Setting Main, Centre and Rear speakers to LARGE on the amp directs the entire range of signal for the channels to the mentioned speakers.

Setting the Main, Centre and Rear speakers to SMALL on amp directs 91hz and above for the channels to the mentioned speakers and 90hz and below to the sub.

Mordaunt Short Premier fequency range:
    Main, Centre and Rears (302's & a 304) - 120hz to 20Khz
    Sub (308) - 35hz to 150hz

Elac Cinema 2 frequency range:
    Main, Centre and Rears - 90hz to 21Khz
    Sub (101 Sub) - 30hz to 300hz

Am I correct in assumming that if I connected the Mordaunt Short Premier package with the Yamaha, in SMALL or LARGE I would lose the frequency range between 91hz and 119hz because the Yamaha only sends 90hz and below to the sub and the sats can only handle 120hz and above? I'm probably misunderstanding, hopefully someone can put me straight.

If my assumption is correct it will probably be best to go for the Elac's and connect them as SMALL as the sat's go down to 90hz therefore not losing any of the frequency range.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. rjw

rjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    You are correct.

Assuming that the 90Hz crossover is fixed and all the response figures are correct, you will have a gap in the frequency response between 90 and 120Hz with the Mordaunt Short speakers.

The Elacs set to small would be a better option (going purely by the numbers).

3. Chip Johannssen

Chip Johannssen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you sure that the LFE output from the Yammie is 90Hz as that's very low for a fixed output and would mean that almost everyone with a sub/sat system should not be using one.

Amps with only one output tend to have it slightly higher than that.

4. rjw

rjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    According to the online copy of the users manual, the crossover for small speakers is indeed fixed at 90Hz.

5. JFK

JFK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yes, on the Yamaha if speakers are set to small then a fixed figure of 90Hz and below is sent to the sub. Thats for the normal bass, but the Lfe from the amp's sub out is from 120Hz and below. So if speakers set to small and Lfe to sub then the sub will output 120Hz and below for Lfe and on top of that 90Hz and below for normal bass.

6. lewisr

lewisr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hate to sound stupid, but does this mean that the mordaunt short speakers are ok with the yamaha.
    I hope so as I have just ordered the Yamaha 430 and the mordaunt short premerie speakers

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    If JFK is correct then yes, you are ok

8. pandrew

pandrew
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone for your replies.

JFK,

I still a little confused cause. I've looked at the manual and there's a note saying that the cut-off frequency for the subwoofer jack on the amp is 90hz. Where did you come across the figure 120hz?

9. JFK

JFK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    When I had a problem with my amp, I was told by someone at Yamaha that was how it worked, because I was doing tests into its bass management. I've just seen the manual and I have found that the cut-off frequency of the jack is 90Hz so if speakers are set to small then 90Hz and below are sent to sub. Also the LFE signals are directed to this jack if assigned but does not state whether or not they are also cut-off at 90Hz and therefore sent to the sub.

If it is or not, the Mordaunt Short, when set to large or small, there will be a gap of frequencies between 90Hz & 120Hz for the normal bass of those speakers, the LFE is a different thing. The only thing to do would be to set center & rears to small, mains to large, all bass + LFE to mains in the bass management and then connect sub using high level (using speaker cable) & set x-over on sub to 120Hz or a little bit above to recieve all normal bass from 120Hz and below + all of the LFE.

10. pandrew

pandrew
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JFK,

As mentioned at the beginning of this thread, I not up to speed technically so please hang on in there with me. You mention "connect the sub using speaker cables", where do I make this high level connection on the amp (I can only see one sub out, and thats the subwoofer jack) and where does it connect into the subwoofer?

11. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To connect the sub via speaker connections, you will need to run the cables from your amp to the sub, then run another set of cables from the sub to your main speakers. Your sub should have binding post or spring clip connections for this type of connection.

Connecting via low level, a single phono connection is needed, connect via the sub out (sub jack) on your amp to the Left phono input on the rear of the sub.