Help needed for streaming media to XBMC

Broxi1979

For some reason networking is a mysterious black art to me, it totally bamboozles me.

I have been trying to set up media streaming in order to stream divx and avi files to me TV. I used to achieve this by file transfering the files through FlashFXP and a crossover cable, however as I my HDD has not been upgraded I was always limited in drive space and could fit a max of 3 files.

How do I go about setting up my xbox and pc to stream media, hardwired to my desktop machine using the ethernet cable that comes with the X360?

To date, I have sussed out that I have to use a little crossover convertor box for the PC to recognise a connection has been made. I assume this is because a crossover network cable and not an ethernet cable should be used?

So I have the little balloon popping up at the bottom right showing a 100mbps connection. I then set up my HDD containg my media on the PC as a shared drive using this guide. http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/index.php?title=Windows_File_Sharing_(samba/smb)

Now I have in my list of drives on XBMC an option for (SMB)Network? I selected this, the machine freezes for quite a while, then I get an image of a keyboard on the screen and it asks for my network name and then after that password?

What do I do at this point and am I on the right track with this?

I really want to get this working, when I do/if I do, will it all work with the Xbox media remote?

Sorry if the above makes no sense, I will clarify any part of it thats confusing. :suicide:

John

What happens when you select "workgroup" from the menu . Will it let you navigate to the shared folders on the PC ?

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
Assuming your PC has a broadband connection are you connected via a router?

If yes and there are spare ports on it then use them not a direct connection to the PC.

Broxi1979

What happens when you select "workgroup" from the menu . Will it let you navigate to the shared folders on the PC ?

Bingo!

First time, I was trying everything other than that item and it worked first time. I now have the folders full file structure to choose from.

You sir, are a genius and a hero.

John

Bingo!

First time, I was trying everything other than that item and it worked first time. I now have the folders full file structure to choose from.

You sir, are a genius and a hero.

Ahh Shucks , as much as I agree I am both genius and something of a hero . If you look back through some of my history , you will come across such thread topics as modding for dummies ( or something like that ) and many post midnight postings trying to get it to work . Mylo , Scumball , Lei and others are up there , above me :D
Have fun , it will work fine with an xbox remote & dongle :smashin:

Broxi1979

Woot, I have a new toy. That will be my day lost today. :D

Only problem is, I have only one cable and connection on my PC, so it will mean swapping over my cable each time. Does anyone know a workaround for this?

and also, will the xbox remote work with XBMC OK, I don't have one yet but would buy one if it did.

Johnkg

and also, will the xbox remote work with XBMC OK, I don't have one yet but would buy one if it did.

Its supposed to work fine (there are even redefinable remote key extender (?) settings in the xbmc build). It better work as I've just ordered one... :)

Johnkg

Only problem is, I have only one cable and connection on my PC, so it will mean swapping over my cable each time. Does anyone know a workaround for this?

Do as Andy98765 said above, or buy a broadband router if you don't have one.

Or buy yourself a cheap 4 port switch/hub. Something like this: http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/119329 as an example, and a few CAT5 cables. Plug PC in one port, XBOX in another, 360 in next, etc...

Johnkg

John

You can , but it requires further moding / soldering and about £20 . I decided it wasn't worth the money . X2ir its called iirc .

John

jagdeepp

Banned
Hi guys, got my xbox connected to my pc via a cat5e cable going from my home cinema to the office upstairs. Its a 25mtr run. Also have one for my snazio which runs perfectly. The xbox seems to struggle when i click on a video file. in fact even when i click on a dvd 'play now' in the xbox media centre window it just freezes up on me. If i were to click on a dvd file from my pc, the same thing, it just freezes up as if its trying to do something then nothing.
I've checked workgroups and its picking up my shared directories no probs at all. I can see all files in the folder but when u select some thing thats it.. freeze..
any advice or is the xbox just not cut out for this.. normal dvd files, nothing hd.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom