1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed for new system

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by nobbydog, Jun 26, 2003.

1. nobbydog

nobbydog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'll write this quickly as my head is about to explode!!! I've done the 'search thread' thing (head began to hurt), read the comparisons (head began to swell & hurt), read through all the technical stuff (its gonna blow!), but still have 4k in the bank for a new set-up. Here goes, you've heard it before - what 42" plasma ,what dvd, prog scan?, sub sat package?, inputs/outputs (shake it all about-puts, only joking), jagged diagonal lines, ALIS screens!?!?
    Please help before I ditch the tv idea completely and go on holiday instead.

2. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is £4k the complete budget... for sound and vision ?

3. nobbydog

nobbydog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the reply - yes £4k is for the whole set up - sound & vision. Obviously picture quality is important, watching Sky 80% DVD's 20% of the time, like the look of Mission FS1 speaker package although reviews don't seem too hot. I cannot decide on a top notch DVD player (Harman Kardon 25?) or th go for a cheaper prog scan (Tosh 520e) leaving more for a better sound set up (KEF's?). At present Panny5 + HK DVD + FS1 + cables + bracket = around £3.8k. Just for good measure I would quite like to have 6.1 if poss within my budget.

4. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When working out your budget
    id recomend working out cable costs
    these can add quite a lot.
    also if you intend wall mounting the plasma, the brackets arn't cheap.

5. nobbydog

nobbydog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes, I included 150 for cables, probably the beginners mistake, too low. I've seen the P5 for 2.8k, HK DVD for .35k, Missions for .35k, bracket for .15k, total 3.65k + .15k for cables. Looks like it might be worth waiting for the P6 to get the P5 even cheaper. However, still confused by it all, 4k is a lot of money and I want to get the best poss set up for my money, even if I have to wait a little longer for better deals.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,518
    Nobbydog

The beginners mistake is not so much under budgeting on cables but trying to force too much out of your budget!

Dont cut corners on the display at this stage in your system build - if your keen on Plasma your about to spend far too much on a display within your £4k budget to ever achieve a 'balanced' system.

I'd be looking first and foremost to get the best display you can and then use whatever is left to get an entry level AV system that's flexible enough to let you upgrade it bit by bit during the life of the display - your going to have the display for a fair few years I'd expect.

I'd consider most 'system' owners on the forum would consider something along the lines of a Pio43 or Pan42 (Fujitsu42 or Hitachi42 for some) plus a Denon 2800 (2900) + AVR-3803 + KEF KHT-2005.2 (plus all the cables, connectors, brackets, AV rack etc) to be a balanced system but it will cost you nearer £6.3K.

I'd go with your preferred plasma plus an all in one Denon, Sony or Pioneer for around £1k that can be reused elsewhere in your home once funds allow a full upgrade or get stuck into the various bargain bins and look for end of line separates to match the display; again with an eye to possibly upgrading these components piece by piece as funds allow.

Best regards

Joe

7. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I must agree with Joe on this one. Even George Lucas states that sound is 50% of the experience. While an all in one system is a neat and combined solution, going down the route of seperates will allow you to upgrade easily down the line. I tend to add or change parts of my system as better solutions come out, so it's an evolving system.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

8. nobbydog

nobbydog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for your replies - so to re-cap.
    Panny 5 at £2,800 - generally accepted as a good choice at present.
    For the remaining £1,200 - All in 1 dvd/speaker system £800 + £250 cables + £150 bracket
    Total £4k.
    However, surely a separates' system would provide greater flexibility and quality (or have I misunderstood your replies).
    Future upgrading would require further approval from 'she that will be obeyed' and, therefore, is not really an option. I've aged 10 years getting to the '£4k system' approval stage! theres no chance of further cash as new kit comes out. I need to get it right first time (given the constraints of the aforementioned budget).

Sorry to labour the point, but I'm still not clear on whether I should look at 'separates' or 'all-in-ones'.
    Thanks for listening.

9. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nobbydog

concentrate the audio aspect of your post in the other areas of avforums.

your find loads of users ready to offer solutions to your budget options there.

Your choice of plasma is highly respected here.

Once youve got an up and running system your need loads of reddies for the dvd collection.

Good luck and enjoy.

10. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    OK here goes

plasma £2800
    Denon 2802 amp £300 (pioneer 811 as alternative)
    HK dvd £250
    2 pairs Kef Coda 70 £350
    1 Kef Coda 80 £130
    4 Alphason AD50-s speaker stands £150
    Speaker cable £100

£4080

Add these later

MJ acoustics pro 50 £250
    QED Coax cable £30
    QED component Cable £70

Seems to me that £4000 can go a long way

11. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    What they're suggesting is that to get a balanced system you should really be looking to spend the same amount on audio as Video. If you get a plasma screen for £2950 the audio equipment (DVD, AMP and speakers) you'll get for the balance (£1050) will not give you the performance level you need to get the best from the display you have. They suggested getting the all in one package to give you a surround sound solution to tide you over until you can afford to go the seperates route.
    To complement the quality display you need to really be looking at a similar budget for sound.ie. £500 dvd, £600-£700 av amp/receiver,around £1500 for a respectable speaker package and subwoofer plus £200 for cable/interconnects.
    You can pick up an adequate all in one system for the money you have left , but , as you suggest will not perform as well as going the seperates route.

12. nobbydog

nobbydog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks all for the comments, I'll let you know the outcome in a month or so's time.

Nobbydog