Help needed for HDMI problem with Sony RDR-HXD870 HDD DVD Player!

L

leesmith17

Hi all, I have recently moved into my first house and was bought a TV and DVD recorder as a moving in present. The TV is an 42" LG LCD LG42LF66 (1080p) and the DVD is a Sony RDR-HXD870 (1080p Upscaling 160Gb HDD).

For the first week the setup was as follows:

I had the DVD connected to the TV via scart, and as both TV and DVD have built in Freeview tuners I have an external aerial going into the DVD player, then out of the DVD player and into the TV.

Connected like this everything was fine (albeit I wasnt getting the quality I should be doing because I was using Scart instead of HDMI). Freeview in both the TV and DVD worked fine and I could use the electronic guides on both to select a channel and watch a programme. All aerial siganls were fine and everything worked perfectly.

After a week, I bought a HDMI lead so I could get the full potential out of TV & DVD player. The manual of the DVD player clearly states that the connection between TV and DVD can be made by either scart or HDMI but NOT both. With this in mind, I unplugged the scart and swapped it for the HDMI cable. After changing the TV input from scart to HDMI, I can see all the menus for the DVD player perfectly and in very good quality. The problem however it that the aerial signal (for freeview) both in and out of the DVD player seems to be disabled when using the HDMI output. This means I can't use the electronic guide of the DVD player to record programmes to the hard disk and also that freeview can't be watched on the tv via its own freeview tuner. When i use the electronic guide on the DVD player, I select a channel but the picture doesnt appear and a message saying "no signal." is displayed. As soon as I change back to scart the signal from the aerial is recieved perfectly and the programmes are recieved again.

I am literally fed up with this problem. I've bought a high end TV and DVD yet im only able to view through scart. Has anyone else experience this problem? I rang Sony to try and fix this problem and they were totally useless at best. Ive read about other hardware devices disabling RF out when using HDMI but I dont even get RF in to work?! And Sony say it should work in either case, but I wasn't filled with confidence as it took the customer service lady about 10 minutes to find my model of DVD player. Is this a fault or a feature? Any suggestions please let me know!

Thanks, Lee

I don't think I can help you specifically because I don't use the freeview with my 870. However, I can say that I have BOTH scart and HDMI going to my LCD and I can switch the input on my LCD to either Scart1 (and I then see my SKY box) or HDMI1 (and I see the 870 which is either a DVD playing or my SKY if Ihave selected Line 1).

I've looked in my manual to see what the setup procedure says and I can't see anything wrong with what you have done setup wise. Have you tried the troubleshooting on page 151 (which seems to suggest turning it off and on again :D)?

Sorry I can't be any more helpful at this stage.

Hi leesmith17 what page on the 870 manual does it has you can't use scart and HDMI mate..I am using both no probs I can use both the DVDR's EPG and the tv's to record..in fact I am going to plug another scart in "so 2 scarts and hdmi" for the decoder..."CAM"....So what page are you looking at?...

I have tried the restart but that didnt work. When I said you cant use scart and hdmi at the same time, i mean scart and hdmi OUT of the DVD, u can have scart and hdmi into the tv though. The 870 manual is here: http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/3113760111.pdf Pages 19 & 20 are of interest, particularly the notes section on page 20.

I'm begining to think I may have a faulty box :-(

You should have an aerial signal from the DVDR to the TV, irrespective of the SCART/HDMI issue. Make sure that the lead between the 2 is OK.

This issue is caused by the power save function being set to the wrong mode.

Currently it must be on Mode 2 and either needs to be on Mode 1 or Off to get RF pass through.

See page 130 of the manual for guidance.

Hi Gav, no its not that thanks anyway. Its currently set to OFF.

OK- I'm going out now but will look into this again later... but in the meantime regarding your comment:
The manual of the DVD player clearly states that the connection between TV and DVD can be made by either scart or HDMI but NOT both.

Can you tell me where that is.. and in what context... because if you want smart functions a scart is required.

Have a look at page 21 of the manual and see if it has implications for your setup.

It says it here.

Page 20 bottom right notes section:

"Do not connect more than one type of video cord between the recorder and your TV at the same time."

"Do not make connections A and E at the same time."

It says it here.

Page 20 bottom right notes section:

"Do not connect more than one type of video cord between the recorder and your TV at the same time."

"Do not make connections A and E at the same time."

Yes I see that now.

I certainly do not think the system is meant to behave like this.
It suggests that the micro's status is corrupted and everything needs resetting.

First and most simply, reset the HDMI interface. HDMI is a hot-plug interface that reinitialises if you simply disconnect and then reconnect [ You may have to power down and then power up with it disconnected , THEN reconnect. ]

If that bears no fruit, then reset the whole unit by the following:

1- Ensure no discs are in the tray.

2 - Switch the unit ON.

3 - ON THE UNIT ITSELF - press and Hold the STOP button... and then press the power button.

The unit should turn off and all settings are reset.

If after that, you still have the problem of no RF in and no RF through, do no more.
Consider it faulty and seek a replacement.

Good Luck.

Hi

Just struck this problem myself. Got my new Bravia connected to my Sony DVD recorder fine with a standard av cable (red, yellow, white). The aerial goes into the digital on the recorder, across to the analogue and out to the TV. I decided a HDMI cable would be better. The minute I connect it I get no rf signal in the TV when the recorder is on. Turn it off signal comes back. I guess I could buy a component cable.

Did you get an answer to this ?

If it is a fault everything is new so I can get it replaced.

Thanks - Michael

Hi

Just struck this problem myself. Got my new Bravia connected to my Sony DVD recorder fine with a standard av cable (red, yellow, white). The aerial goes into the digital on the recorder, across to the analogue and out to the TV. I decided a HDMI cable would be better. The minute I connect it I get no rf signal in the TV when the recorder is on. Turn it off signal comes back. I guess I could buy a component cable.

Did you get an answer to this ?

If it is a fault everything is new so I can get it replaced.

Thanks - Michael

There were some posts that suggested that some HDMI cables block the RF signals to the 70 range. Other HDMI cables were reported to be OK.

There were some posts that suggested that some HDMI cables block the RF signals to the 70 range. Other HDMI cables were reported to be OK.

I guess I should have got the Monster $150 cable instead of the `cheap' $50 cable!

I'll grab a component cable I think.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Michael

I guess I should have got the Monster $150 cable instead of the `cheap' $50 cable!

I'll grab a component cable I think.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Michael

Actually, it was a £2.99 cable that fixed peoples problems. But it will be difficult to find that thread.

This was the cable that works fine, and it's the one that I use. Actually, I have 3 different cables, and they all work OK. But some don't apparently.

http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/catalog/cables/value-hdmi-to-hdmi-cable-18m.html

Thanks for chasing that up. HDMI cables in Australia seem quite expensive. I think I will just stick a component video cable in and then look around the internet for a cheap(er) source of HDMI cables. I might have to order from the UK I guess.

Regards - Michael

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom