Help needed for audio cut out issue (Harman Kardon AVR 347)

brianbirginal

Novice Member
Hi everyone. I am new here, so apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere. I have spent some time looking through the forum and can't find anything with my specific issue. I will try to be as specific as possible with my issue and give all model numbers of all devices used to hopefully prevent the "what model is your X device" replies that is just a headache for everyone.

My issue:
I have an issue where my audio cuts out for just a split second, then comes back (no issue with video at all during this, and no issue with audio/video being not in sync after audio comes back). I stream everything I watch (hulu/netflix/youtube/etc.) through an Apple TV 4k first gen (model A1842 32GB). My issue seems to come when the audio that I'm watching/listening to is at its peak (which sounds like perhaps an audio peak protection), but I have cranked this system with much louder overall sound and no issues (so that tells me....not an audio peak protection??... cause the system can obviously handle more, right?...idk). For example, during an action movie, it might cut out during an explosion or something....but then I can play my preferred music (metal) at a much louder volume than that explosion scene with no issue. I don't think it is an overheating issue because I can play metal music (lots of intense/loud/low end for a long sustained period of time) with no issue, and at much louder volume than the explosion scene in the movie. It also seems to be intermittent, meaning, no real pattern on when it will cut out. Some intense action scenes play with no issue at all, while others will cut out audio intermittently. The worst it's been is maybe 4 times of audio cut out (for roughly 1 second duration each time) during a 2 minute-ish action scene. I guess as i'm writing this I recognize that there is a small pattern, which is I only have this issue during tv/movie streaming...I have never encountered this while listening to music via youtube. Idk what that means, but perhaps something?

Also, I have gone through all settings of all of the above (TV/Apple tv/AVR receiver/sound bar) and made sure that there is no sound leveling enabled. So I am confident that it is not an issue of some software auto leveling the sound. I have also triple checked that the audio settings don't change on any device depending on whether the TV detects HDR/Dolby Vision/HDR, etc.

Also, I am confident that it is not an issue with just one speaker/set of speakers, b/c all of the audio drops out for a second, then comes back. I would imagine if, for example, the receiver was driving L/R channel too hard (maybe the speakers couldn't handle the wattage, they would drop out alone), but all audio drops out together, in sync, then all audio comes back together, in sync (and in sync with video). Please see below for watt/ohms of AVR to speakers, but I'm pretty sure that I am not overdriving the receiver or any of my speakers.

My equipment:
-TV: Vizio M-series quantum dot 55" Model M558-G1
-Apple TV 4k first gen Model A 1842 32 GB
- Harman Kardon AVR 347 receiver (i know its old, but given from family member for free)
-Yamaha NS-6390 bookshelf speakers (bought second hand)
-Vizio sound bar VSB 200 (acting as center channel)
-Cerwin Vega 15" sub Model "Cerwin-Vega Model Sub 150" --this model number seemed weird to me, so I grabbed pic of the serial number as well, for anyone to look up if you wanted--- Serial Number: SUB150 003607

How I have ran my audio:
I have audio ran from RCA Output from TV to AVR receiver (no HDMI via ARC b/c its an old receiver not capable of 4k...get better video quality via apple tv 4k or other devices plugged into TV rather than video coming from AVR receiver).

From AVR receiver:
I have front L/R channels going to Yamaha NS-6390 bookshelf speakers. These are connected though normal gauge speaker wire.
Center channel going to an old vizio sound bar (Model Number VSB 200). This is connected through RCA from AVR center OUT, to sound bar IN
I also have an old Cerwin Vega 15" sub connected to the sub OUTof the AVR to Sub IN of sub....with a line level input, just to be able to control the level of the sub separate from overall audio level.

Also, all cables are new. I have purchased all new RCA/Speaker wire/HDMI cables. No, they are not the uber expensive, gold plated cables, but they are also not the cheapest cables you can buy. Specifically, the RCA and speaker wire cables are purchased from a set that is made for after market car audio (I had intentions of upgrading the system in my car, but decided otherwise...so used cables from that set). So speaker wire and RCA cables should not be an issue (should be able to handle all the power that I am throwing at them ((and more)) right?).

Specs on devices:
-AVR is capable of 55 watts RMS per channel at 8 ohms (user manual says 70 watts continuous/55 wats per channel, I think thats 55 RMS, right?)
-Yamaha bookshelf speakers are 70 wats at 8 ohms
-Cerwin Vega sub capable of 200 watts (ohms is unknown, I have attached the official Cerwin Vega user guide for this sub, for anyone else to confirm).

This is my issue and all that I can think of as far as specs. I have tried to be as thorough as possible. Any help would be appreciated.

I will say this last thing, please don't be nasty. I'm sure that upgrading to a better AVR and better speakers and better TV will fix all my issues...And I'm sure that my setup is plebian compared to most on this forum....but I don't have the money for that. everything I have is used except for my tv, which bought new on super sale, and the Apple TV 4k. lol. I don't know the culture here in this forum, but I know enough to know that forums can become nasty. I'm just trying to find a solution to an audio issue.

Again, any help is appreciated.
If any further details are needed, please let me know. I'm happy to help in any way that I can.

Thanks!! :)

Attachments

• Cerwin Vega user guide.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 14
  • Harman Kardon user guide.pdf
    4.5 MB · Views: 42

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
My equipment:
-TV: Vizio M-series quantum dot 55" Model M558-G1
- Harman Kardon AVR 347 receiver (i know its old, but given from family member for free)

How I have ran my audio:
I have audio ran from RCA Output from TV to AVR receiver (no HDMI via ARC b/c its an old receiver not capable of 4k...get better video quality via apple tv 4k or other devices plugged into TV rather than video coming from AVR receiver).
As you can see from my edit of your mail, I'm guessing the problem is between the TV and the AVR. First off, check you have the lastest firmware on the TV (VIZIO Support). My TV had the same issue when first delivered (very annoying), later resolved by a firmware update.

Instead of using RCA out from the TV's audio out, try running an optical cable from the optical audio out (http://cdn.vizio.com/user-manual/PDF/2019/TV/UM/M507-G1_M558-G1_M658-G1_UM-ENG.pdf) to the HK AVR-347 (pages 12 and 20 in your attached manual). This will also enable you to get real surround sound from the TV to the AVR, instead of simulating it from a stereo reduction, so it's worth doing this anyway.

I strongly doubt that it's the speakers, the subwoofer, their connection to the AVR, its power handling abilities, or the analogue cables. Unfortunately, it's not impossible the HK AVR is defective, since it's not exactly new, but before spending money on a new AVR, let's try the simpler things.

brianbirginal

Novice Member
As you can see from my edit of your mail, I'm guessing the problem is between the TV and the AVR. First off, check you have the lastest firmware on the TV (VIZIO Support). My TV had the same issue when first delivered (very annoying), later resolved by a firmware update.

Instead of using RCA out from the TV's audio out, try running an optical cable from the optical audio out (http://cdn.vizio.com/user-manual/PDF/2019/TV/UM/M507-G1_M558-G1_M658-G1_UM-ENG.pdf) to the HK AVR-347 (pages 12 and 20 in your attached manual). This will also enable you to get real surround sound from the TV to the AVR, instead of simulating it from a stereo reduction, so it's worth doing this anyway.

I strongly doubt that it's the speakers, the subwoofer, their connection to the AVR, its power handling abilities, or the analogue cables. Unfortunately, it's not impossible the HK AVR is defective, since it's not exactly new, but before spending money on a new AVR, let's try the simpler things.
Hey Mark. Thanks for the reply and the helpful tips!

I have checked and my TV is up-to-date.

I have just ordered an optical cable. should be coming in the mail in a couple of days. Hopefully that fixes it! I have always meant to get one b/c I knew that digital was obviously better sound quality than analog. It was just one of those things that was always in the back of my mind that I needed to buy, but never could remember when I was out shopping. lol. I guess I also didn't realize that I wasn't getting "true" surround sound with RCA (still pretty new to this stuff). I mean, I hear sound moving from left speaker...to center channel...then to right...but perhaps this will give a better overall surround sound.

Either way, I've needed to get it for a while, and hopefully it fixes the audio cut out issue as well!

And, I agree, I didn't think it was an issue with the speakers/AVR/power output/etc. just wanted to add that in as a measure of thoroughness so that I didn't send out a post that others would be like..."okay...can you at least tell us what systems you are using...and how they are connected...etc." lol.

Thanks again for the reply. I will update if the issue persists. If I don't update, consider this a win! :)

brianbirginal

Novice Member

Actually, one more question. if you don't mind.

I ordered a 15 foot Toslink optical audio cable. What are your thoughts on this brand? I read some reviews and looked up a couple of articles on how long you can run the cable before you get degradation, and all seemed to point to Toslink was a decent brand and 15 foot isn't too far to stretch it.

I guess ive already ordered it, so damage is done, lol, but Toslink at 15 foot is okay, right? lol
It says gold plated, but I'm pretty sure the gold plating doesn't matter nearly as much as the quality of cable inside the sheathing, right?

Anyway, just want to be sure that I didn't just order a cable that everyone 'in the scene' agrees is junk. lol

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Actually, one more question. if you don't mind.

I ordered a 15 foot Toslink optical audio cable. What are your thoughts on this brand? I read some reviews and looked up a couple of articles on how long you can run the cable before you get degradation, and all seemed to point to Toslink was a decent brand and 15 foot isn't too far to stretch it.

I guess ive already ordered it, so damage is done, lol, but Toslink at 15 foot is okay, right? lol
It says gold plated, but I'm pretty sure the gold plating doesn't matter nearly as much as the quality of cable inside the sheathing, right?

Anyway, just want to be sure that I didn't just order a cable that everyone 'in the scene' agrees is junk. lol
Toslink isn't a brand, it's a functional description (TOShiba LINK) of the type of cable you need.

I can't imagine what gold plating is for, and there is no "cable" under the sheath - it's an optical fibre. Are you sure you didn't order a digital coaxial cable? Your TV only supports an optical output.

It's not that optical has lower quality than analogue, rather your TV only has stereo analogue outputs.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom